How much do you pay for childcare?

Doh - the going rate is €150-€200 per week. Just to nitpick the OP slightly, €115 is about $125.

[slight hijack]
And how was your first day? Did you cry? I know I did.
[/slight hijack]

miamouse, nope! Not a tear out of me, but she only stayed for half the day and I was there for some of it. I wonder what it’ll be like when I stay away the whole day!!!

I can’t imagine what I’ll be like when she goes to proper school! Though, ideally, I’d be working in the same school where she attends, so I won’t get to miss her too much.

manwithaplan, I stand corrected. It’s $123.13.

$171 per week for a toddler.

At a Kindercare facility.

$385 per month for my 3 year old at a licensed day care center. We have to send lunch, but snacks are provided.
Sounds like I’ve got a good deal. (But then salaries are lower here; it all pretty much evens out I think when you factor in everything.)

Like flodnak, my oldest (3) is in a Montessori preschool. 5 days a week, from 8:45 - 2:45, they provide snack, I provide lunch. $635 per month.

My youngest has a sitter who comes in- $10 per hour, comes out to about $761 every two weeks for her after taxes.

Montessori is worth it, though. Only fully certified Montessori-trained teachers are teaching the kids, no student aides or playyard monitors filling in.

I’m sure I pay a lot more than would be reasonable in other parts of the US.

Like MrPeabody my wife quit her job to stay home full time with my son, even though that wasn’t our original plan. She was only working part time at the time, but I would guess with her skills if she looked for a full time job she would be making U$ 40,000, easy.

Just to give you the other side…

I used to sit and made $130/week (for a 45 hr week) canuck going into a family’s home. I enjoyed it but I couldn’t live on it. (I make more working less than half the hrs now). EJsGirl-10/hr?? Wow. I wish the couple who I’d worked for (who had an income of $60-70 thousand) would have loosened the purse strings.

When my daughter was in the infant room, we paid $255/week (Canadian, that is) for care from 7am-6pm, meals and snacks included, and diapers from home. Now that she’s in a toddler room (at a different daycare), we pay $775/month for 7:30am-6pm, same deal with the food and diapers.

I bet it is worth every penny too MrPeabody

I just wanted to say that the title of this thread and the one under it got blended when I was skimreading, and it came in as “How much do you pay for children?”. Yikes.

Hey, this is my child we’re talking about. I found someone who loves my kids and takes great care of them, and I won’t lose her.

Of course, SoCal dollars are so different from other places (everything is friggin’ expensive here). I doubt most people have to pay that much to keep good help.