How much does a 2 pack a day smoking habit cost a person?

Hmm, I pay $2.85 including tax per pack of Marlboro Lights 100’s here. $5.70 a day, if I smoked 2 packs a day, making it $2080.50 per year, provided the price stays the same. Of course, it really does depend on where you buy, because across the street from the convenience store I buy from, they’re $3.99 a pack.

I really only smoke one pack per day, so my yearly outlay would be closer to $1040. Gah. I could have a whole new wardrobe for that.

Are you quite certain your math is correct? I would have sworn that cartons were only 10 packs, not 20.

In Atlantic Canada, it’s currently around $10.25 a pack, so $20.50 a day, $143.50 a week, $574.00 a month (more than my rent), $6888.00 a year.

I’m a former smoker, but never smoked more than two packs a week.

You can download that program here - it’s called QuitTime.

1w 1d 12:16 smoke-free, 294 cigs not smoked, $117.60 saved, 1d 0:30 life saved

Just curious, when was that and how much is that in today’s dollars?

Also, how does that compare with your salary? By that, let’s say when cigs were $1/pack you were making, say, $5/hr.

Well, in the late 80’s I remember my parents talking about how they used to say that, and Mom didn’t start smoking till the late 70’s, so I’d guess late 70’s-early 80’s. I don’t know what they were making at the time, but minimum wage was something like $2.65.