How much does it cost to hire movers?

It was $2000 for me to move from Miami, FL to Richmond,VA with one bedroom apt’s worth of furniture.

The original quote (done over the phone) was for about $500 less because I ended up bringing more stuff than I’d initially told them. Also, they charged me for the boxes that they used to pack up stuff I didn’t know had to be packed (I didn’t know that everything had to be in a box or be wrapped in blankets.) The boxes are not cheap ($30 each!) so if you go with movers, make sure that if you pack everything yourself, you pack it well. It will not only save money but also time. It took the movers almost two hours to repack things because I didn’t tape some of the boxes very well, or I overstuffed them. They worked with the boxes I already had, but in some cases, they used the expensive ones they brought with them.

But I was satisfied with the service I received. Two thousand bucks is a lot, but it’s worth not having doing all the heavy lifting yourself. And they reasembled my bed for me.

I just moved from NE Ohio to Tucson. Place I’m working now has deals worked out w/various moving companies, and I don’t have all that much stuff: for the company I used, the estimate I got shows an estimated weight of ~2200 pounds of stuff, without the discount it would have been about $5500.

I also got an estimate that included shipping my car - approximately $10k pre-discount.

I didn’t ship my car and drove cross country.

I’da only charged her $7,000. is she still shopping around??? Just Curious

It’s been over five years. Probably not.

People posting prices, can you include if you paid just for them to move your boxes or if you paid them to pack your stuff also?

It’s my understanding that just having them move your stuff is cheap. Few hundred usually. But having them do the packing costs thousands.

Relo packages for companies I’ve worked for often include moves. The people literally don’t have to do a thing. The company moves everything for them. The bill gets paid by the company, and it can easily run into five figures.

I’ve often wondered if this was typical or if it was just because a large company was paying for it and doesn’t care about price.

How much does it cost to move a zombie to the Graveyard?

This thread has been bumped at least once by spammers and it’s six years old, so I’m closing it.