How much fossil fuel is left?

Talk about synchronicity. I was just re-reading More of the Straight Dope last week when I came across Cecil’s column on the subject (it’s not in the archives yet–I checked!). It got me curious if there had been any follow-ups, so I did a little web surfing and found that there have been even more results since Cecil’s original article.

The Russians, working from Gold’s theory, apparently have productive oil wells drilled into “basement rock, far below the sedimentary strata. Here, where fossils have never penetrated, hydrocarbons are found in abundance.”
[Quoted from Paul V. Sheridan’s article [“Hydrocarbon Fuels Are Not Fossils: The A-Biogenic Theory”]
(http://www.aldenchronicles.com/email_archives.html). The article is quoted in its entirety in the second e-mail message on the page. I haven’t been able to find production figures for these wells, though.

There is more information to be found on Thomas Gold’s web page, and here.

If oil was the product of the dinosaurs buried DEEP in the earth—why are their bones so easy to find and dig up?

Oil, gas, and coal hydrocarbon deposits are not the result of animal matter. Sure, there is plenty of animal matter in them, but the vast, vast majority of the hydrocarbons comes from plant and vegetable matter. The “dinosaurs are gasoline” myth is one still taught by elementary school teachers today, and reinforced by such little things as the Sinclair gasoline sign - the one with the Apatasaurus/Brontosaurus on it.

And even though it is not really relevant, oil, gas, and coal deposits are/were found on the surface, and readily available. Indians in the US used to take coal from outcroppings and burn it, and use it for pigment. In the bluffs near a lake about 30 miles away, I can dig coal out by looking hard for a little, 0.5-inch high seam. And in many areas of the world oil and gas make it to the surface, and were used by the ancients.

UncleBeer wrote:

Then Anthracite wrote:

Hmph. I guess STP isn’t quite as S as its name implies.

Just to tick Antracite off, I have to add that Tommy Gold thinks that coal is abiotic in origin too.

[gloat]I get to see him talk Monday, but not about fossil fuels–he’s got some wacko theory on Io’s volcanoes.[/gloat]

Encyclopaedia Brittanica has quite a breakdown of fossil fuels and how long they might last.

We’re set for a couple hundred years with known reserves of oil, coal for much longer. I only wish I could have told my “teachers” that in school, I recall dire predictions and much hand wringing in elementary and junior high-- “We’ll be out of oil by the year 2000.”

Outright lies don’t help the situation nor cultivate a concern among the great Unwashed.

Anyway, we pay way too much for fuel, and not a little of that in taxes. Europe is even worse. (they pay anwhere from 4~5 USD per gallon)

But, one day we won’t need near the fossil fuels we do now. Yay.

In another thread about getting energy from the difference in temperature between surface and deep water I posted a link to and article.

http://www.wws.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/byteserv.prl/~ota/disk3/1978/7815/781504.PDF the article

Georges Claude worked on the idea for getting energy from the ocean because he thought that we were in danger of running out of oil in a few years.

“the federal oil consevation baord estimates that the US has only enough oil to last 6 years”

This was written in 1926. We have been about to run out of oil for a long time.

Interesting thread. I have always been interested in Dr. Gold’s theories-if he right, we should have no problems. But back to the (biological origin) of petroleum: many years ago, my dad had a friend whio was an engineer at a local oil-fired electric plant. I remember him giving us a tour of the plant-and he mentioned that several times a year, workers would clean the smokestacks. The deposits in the smokestacks were very valuble, as they contained a large amount of the metal vanadium. The vanadium was from the blood of the ancient dinosaurs. My question is this-where I live (New England) was a nice swampy place during the Cretacious era-we have lots of dinosaur tracks in the Connecticut river valley-how come we don’t have any oil wells here? A few years back, a drilling company tried some wildcat oil wells in vermont-they came up dry!

I’ll save Anthracite the trouble of saying this again: Fossil fuels don’t come from dinosaurs. I’ve also never heard that blood has any significant amounts of vanadium (certianly less than iron), and even if it did, it would come from the plants that dinosaurs ate, so finding vanadium in fossil fuels wouldn’t mean anything.

Vanadium is present in phosphate rocks and iron ores, and dissolves into the oil as it lies in underground deposits. It is also found in coal, but not nearly in the same quantities, as the coal forms a pretty homogenous, inert mass in its bed. Whereas the oil can undergo flow motion, convection, etc. and thus dissolve more salts and minerals containing vanadium.

A thread from last September, Fossil Fuels, concentrated more on the oil and gas part of our future with fossil fuel.

And another, Depletion (or not) of oil reserves, from October of 1999.

And a site that is generally relevant: Fossil Energy

While it’s theoretically possible to get a bit of T. rex in your tank, microscopic marine life (both fauna and flora) is the original source of most petroleum; that’s why we are usually looking for it where oceans used to be (i.e., marine or near-marine paleoenvironments).

Coal is out of my normal range of ponderings; here’s a couple of sites that address coal origins:

Coal Formation

Conifers and the Coal Question defends the transport theory of coal formation versus the in-situ hypothesis.

The term STP (standard temperature and pressure) is generally used when working with gases. It is defined as 1 atm and 273.15 K (0 deg C).

Thermodynamicists use “standand conditions,” which were originally defined as 1 atm and “a temperature of interest.” Recently, the IUPAC has adopted the bar as the standard pressure for thermodynamic quantities: 1 bar = 10[sup]5[/sup] pascals = 0.9869 atm.

The “temperature of interest” used for most (but not all) thermodynamics tables is 298.15 K (25 deg C).

But this still doesn’t change my point from above. My values for natural gas volumes came from the DoE, which like the rest of the natural gas industry in the US, use 60 F as their “standard” temperature.

Yeah! And 60 degrees Fahrenheit is only 15-and-a-half degrees Celsius! Hah! Put that in your pipe at STP and smoke it!