How much of human language does your dog comprehend?

In addition to most of the above except the varieties of down,
"Where’s … "
and
“Go get …”

Where’s (Mommy, daddy, the ball, uncle, Mufasa?) will send the dog on the nearest direct route for the person or object. Or, well, he’ll look at it hard.

Go get will get the dog to try to bring the object or person back.

Yes, the dog can find ‘Mommy’s Keys’. And ‘the remote’. Not so good at those, though, best at people.

And it was completely lost on me for the first twenty five years of my life, even though I knew he was notorious for weeing on stuff (me, as an infant, being one of the things he’d try to wee upon, the jealous devil). Best dog ever.

Food
Dinner
Eat
No
Get down
Up
Beg
Go to the door
Get out of that [when sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong]
No, go the other way
Shake
Stay
Lie down
Get away
Go to the stairs [his place when company comes over]
Come here
Streak [his name]
Stop
Out [when he is being a pest and should leave the room]
Heel
Go

Of course, being so smart, he can choose to ignore any and all of these words if he wants to. :rolleyes:

I’m cheating a little bit here by submitting my rats, but they often act like dogs so I guess it might count. :wink:

They respond to their own names: Bettina, Lola and Cookie

They all know “treat” :smiley:

They all know “In the cage”; when they’re running around outside and it’s time for them to go back, I say that and they’ll go in on their own.

Bettina knows “On my shoulder” - that’s where she usually sits when I bring her out to play, but if she wanders somewhere I don’t want her to go I’ll tell her to come back.

“You’re such a good girl” immediately brings forth much teeth-chattering; a behaviour they do when they’re happy (not unlike a cat’s purr).

In addition to EVERY ONE of those commands, my dog (a miniature Schnauzer) also understands:

go for a ride
hush
cat
squirrel
go to bed
no, go to YOUR bed
crate
outside
inside
treat
snack
reese’s pieces (as in, would you like some reese’s pieces? they’re ambrosia to him)

We’re interested in finding out what ELSE he might understand - we’re not his original owners. We picked him up at a Schnauzer rescue shelter in Corpus Christi. His original owner got married, and the new wife had a chihauha, and they didn’t get along - so guess who’s dog had to go. It’s a real shame, too…apparently his owner took VERY good care of him; he grooms very well, tolerates baths, and knows all of these commands. He’s a full-blood pooch, and may even have some show-training – he’s certainly high-bred. He won’t use the bathroom in the house at ALL, unless it’s an emergency, and even then, he gets embarassed about it. We love him - he loves us, and he’s easy to care for.

A Pomeranian I frequently take care of understands a mix of English and Farsi (original owner is from Iran). I tell him “Go get kakari! Where’s the kakari!?” which is Farsi for porcupine, and he get’s his favorite toy, a plastic porcupine. No doubt I butchered the spelling of ‘kakari’.

He also is so sensitive to the phrase “Do you wanna go out?” that by the time “Do y-” is out of my mouth he’s at the door.

Hey, I think your Lucy and my Lucy must be of similar stock. She’s Bird Man’s baby so of course he thinks she’s brilliant because “She knows all her names!” He’ll look at her, cock his head, clap his hands, and say “Lucy!” or “Lu-Lu!” or “Pretty dog!” or “Button!” and she will come running over. She’s so smart! Right. So I’ll look at her, cock my head, clap my hands and say “Cocksucker!*” or “Shithead!” or “Doggy Soup!” and she’ll come running over to me. The dog is brain dead.

But she does know:
Hey! aka No!
Walk
Uncle Matty (her favorite person, much excitement)
Go potty? or Outside?
Cage
Sit
Stay
Speak
Down
Commands she will do if she feels like it. I am having a hard time explaining to Bird Man that she needs to do them every time, without fail, even if she’s excited. He can’t fathom why we need to obedience train her.
*Her new nickname after we found out how much she likes Bully Sticks.

And the post from Little Bird reminded me that the Pomeranian’s nickname is “Joo-joo”, which I understand is Farsi for “little bird”.

If I’m on the phone he recognizes when the conversation is coming to an end.

Oh, yes. Different behaviors for “Squirrel” “Duck” “Heron” “Deer” and “Deer in the garden” and “Heron in the Pond”
Oh, and “bunny” or “Rabbit”
Good number of hand signals, too.

Oh, and “Is coming” gets different reactions, depending on the person.

these are too funny!!! I love it!

When I first moved to Germany, my German was close to zilch.
One day, I was visiting a German and suddenly he turned and said something to his dog. The dog got up, went and got it’s leash and then went to the door and waited for my friend to go take him for a walk.

I thought, “now this is embarrassing. The damned dog knows more German than I do.”

I went home and started to seriously look over those German language books I had brought with me and spent the entire weekend cramming. No smug German Shepard was going to make me look like a stupid cat.

Our two dogs are pretty good at language…here are our common ones:

Dinnertime!
Where’s your horse? (refers to a favorite stuffy toy)
Out of the kitchen!
On your rug!
Find it, find it!
Wanna go for a walk?
Off of the bed!
You’re the cutest dog in the world, aren’t you, yes you are!
Drop it! (which means dog will immediately swallow whatever it has)

Written or verbal?

A few our dog knows besides all the basic commands:

Settle
find it
wait
leave it
drop it
bring it
ok
where is (family member’s name)?
bath
show me
go to your kennel
peanut butter
back up
ball
frisbee
shake
sit pretty
squirrel

Sidenote: Elenfair, can you explain a little more about operant conditioning? We have an Aussie shepherd mix who knows lots of commands but I think she is getting bored and I would like to train her a little more. The only thing we have tried to teach her and have been unsuccessful with is ‘quiet.’ She insists on barking at the mailman every day and at strange dogs that go past the house (she does not bark at the neighbor’s dogs.) Since we have a baby that is usually napping when the mailman comes I would like to teach her not to bark at him, but I am not sure how to go about it since I don’t mind her barking to alert us if something strange is going on outside or to guard a little when we are away. She does not bark incessantly but she does cause a commotion for a minute or two. Is there a way to teach her ‘it’s ok to bark sometimes, but not others?’ It seems like a fairly sophisticated concept to teach a dog but she is very intelligent and has been easily trained in other areas.

(Sorry if this is too much of a hijack, I can start another thread if no one else cares about this.)

Auggie, The Cutest Dog on the Planet ™, knows:
sit
shake
lie down
stay (but he’s not very good at that)
come
go out
get down (when he’s on whatever chair or sofa I want to be on)
Hoover (the neighbor’s dog, who he loves)
gator, cowie, horsie, and froggie- all favorite toys, and yes, he knows which one is which
Phoebe and Midnight, “his” two cats
walk (he hasn’t learned to spell it yet)
biscuit
supper
treat
flossie (his very favorite treat)
bath

He may recognize more, but those are the ones that I know for sure he knows.

As an aside, he had a very strange reaction to hearing Spanish on TV once. We were watching “Collateral”, and at the very beginning of it, there are two men speaking very rapidly and loudly in Spanish. Auggie ran up to the TV and barked at it! The only time we’re seen him do that is when a dog barks on TV. We thought maybe he was upset because it sounded angry, and he hates yelling or crying (he runs upstairs and hides when I cry, and it scared the crap out of him the one time he saw me throw up). But later on in the same movie, there are two people speaking Spanish in a normal tone and volume, and he did the same thing!

My dog knows:

Come
Go Ahead
Gimme that!
Drop it!
Go for a ride?
Go for a walk?
Go outside?
Wanna treat?
Sit.
Shake.
Down.
Over.
Time to eat!
Are you begging?
Go to bed.
Off (for when she’s on the couch or bed and I don’t want her there).
No.
Where’s your frog (her favorite toy that she’ll go fetch when I ask)?

She hasn’t picked up on spelling yet, so I’m safe there. She’s pretty much the best dog ever.

Blaze, my Sheltie knows:

sit
lay down
up
outside
where’s … (a person’s name)
go get it!
come here
ssh!
quiet
kisses
no
ok
move!
come on

There are probably more that I can’t think of. He responds VERY well to non-verbal commands like hand signals, and toe pointing. (Heh. If he’s not in the kitchen, I can call him to clean up something I’ve spilled on the floor, by calling him and pointing my toe.)

When I say “go get it” I can point my finger. He doesn’t always find it though.

When I get out his brush he ALWAYS rolls over to get his tummy brushed first.

My mother’s bassett hound understands the concept of sharing.
To set the scene: My mother, husband & I went to my mother’s vacation home in NC for quick break.
My mom is big on gardening and had a pal with whom she would go out and do “guerilla eco-gardening” with in the area. He came over one morning and Mom and he had coffee and biscuits.
Towards the end of their breakfast/planning seesion, I came to the table and my husband asked me what I would like him to prepare (He treats me like a princess) for breakfast.
I asked for 2eggs, sunny side up-semi-hard, with toast. So mom looks at my plate as MrILovCoffee places it before me, her dog devotedly at her knee and states, “You are going to share that with Madeline.” Madeline is the bassett.
And then promptly leaves with her pal to save some poor native NC herb/weed from destruction. And I think to myself,“Bah! I will give Madeline the yolks (maybe) when I have eaten what I like.”
But, in my birth family to share means to divvy the item together as you both eat (by alternating bites) or prior to consuming any (usually one halves the item, the other chooses). AND THE DOG HAD LEARNED THIS.
Because every blessed forkfull was watched and commented on by Madeline.
"Mom said to share!"she barked each mouthful I ate.
I ate about 3 mouthfuls. Then I had MrILovCoffee get me another plate, I cut the yolks out and gave them to her to eat.
Understands: share.
Does not understand: I am going to give you your share after I have eaten my share.
Mostly because she had not encountered that idea/situation before.
My mom spoils that dog. The dog gets dolce de lece on biscuits or toast, bananas, cheese omelets (I ain’t kidding, ask my sister-in-law), and I don’t know what else. But that dog is a sweetheart.

Quinn knew:

Walk
No
Baloney
Krimpet (a butterscotch cake made by TastyKake)