How much of the U.S.S. Constitution is original material?

You can build any replica and do that. The magic of the USS Constitution is that it still retains some of the original materials and has a strong connection to the ship that sailed 200+ years ago. Remove that and you just have a copy.

Yeah, but we don’t have any replicas, except maybe the Etoile du Roy/Grand Turk, and it’s half the size of the Constitution at best.

My point is that if they’re going to refit/refurbish/rebuild the ship, they ought to do so properly, so that it can sail like it was intended, with full sails.

Meh. The Constitution is better as a floating museum than as a functioning sailing ship. You want to sail, take the other one.

Or the French one - French frigate Hermione (2014) - Wikipedia

I’m just glad something was saved from the Big “E”.

The shame that CV-6, the first Big “E” was disposed of instead of being a museum ship. It is such a loss. No ship has ever been called upon to do more in all of history as far as I know. I feel like she almost single-handedly slowed the Japanese down to buy us time to start rolling our ships out.

But the Constitution was only saved almost by accident. She was stripped down and being used as floating barracks if I recall correctly when Teddy Roosevelt came to the rescue.

I also wonder how much of the US constitution was original and how much was copied from other sources :wink:

Cribbed from several sources including Magna Carta.

Magna Carta exercised a strong influence both on the United States Constitution and on the constitutions of the various states. However, its influence was shaped by what eighteenth-century Americans believed Magna Carta to signify. Magna Carta was widely held to be the people’s reassertion of rights against an oppressive ruler, a legacy that captured American distrust of concentrated political power.

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/magna-carta-muse-and-mentor/magna-carta-and-the-us-constitution.html

Not to mention the wholesale lifting of ideas and paragraphs from Locke’s Second Treatise on Civil Government.

The Virginia Declaration of Rights was cribbed from for the Bill of Rights.

I remember visiting the Constellation in Baltimore harbor during the bicentennial. At the time I bought a copper medal purported to come from the original copper sheathing. The coin was also supposed to be a lifetime pass to the vessel. Now the history gets interesting. You can read about it here: