How much pressure do you feel to believe what your family believes?

Nope. If anything, there was pressure to think, critically, for myself, which I took to heart.

It’s sad because in recent years the country (and families and friends) have become divided over politics and religion. But it’s become quite nasty since the past election.

I was raised by very liberal parents, I am more a liberal than ever before. My mother married a conservative last year, we just don’t talk politics. And I adore him, he treats her well and is very sweet to me. That’s all that matters. My MIL has become a bible-thumper in the past 6 months and is constantly making remarks to us about it, like we’re going to change our views (we’re atheist/agnostic, UU, etc.). Recently some karma smacked someone we’ve had some trouble with recently and of course I was thrilled. She asked me “did you thank god for this?”. What??

So last night my BIL brings over this new girl he’s seeing. I’ve been really excited about meeting her. She seemed great, not very talkative, pretty girl. Lately my BIL has been making some comments that have hinged on racist and homophobic. He swears he’s only kidding, but I don’t think you should joke about those things. So after he made a comment last night, I jokingly said “you can’t be a good liberal if you’re not tolerant”, followed by a wink. I know he’s very liberal in his views, I have no idea what his political leanings are though. He’s just a kid and doesn’t watch the news or pay much attention. His new friend said something like “I have no tolerance for liberals”.

You know, I don’t care what your politics are, just don’t be a jerk about them. If you say you don’t like me because of my political beliefs, then immediately your opinion is discounted in my eyes. We all have to live in this country together and I have no problem with anyone in general. I just have a problem with people who get nasty and harass people, basically the rabid fringe on both ends. I guess I can just chalk it up to them being young.

I’m from Indiana. Everyone in the family loves the Colts. I happen to be a great big 'ol cheesehead Packer Fan (Have been for years and years), and I walked into our Thanksgiving festivities wearing a Packer jersey. Suddenly, I was akin to being the anti-christ. You should have HEARD them! People take that stuff WAY to seriously sometimes. I think it’s hilarious, since I have better things to do with my anger and angst, than to try to make someone feel like a total jerk for showing support for a football team they like. If they used that anger and angst to do something constructive, Og only knows what good they could accomplish…

Not much, really. When it comes to religion, they assume that I have the same beliefs as they do-- they’re so deeply ingrained in them, they can’t imagine me NOT believing, too. I just don’t say anything.

When it comes to politics, they know that we differ. I do point out issues and problems that I see in their viewpoints, but I always keep it polite and brief. They don’t even try to convert me on those issues.