How much service do you get at local gas stations? [survey]

I stopped in NJ once for gas-the attendent told me that he had to pump it (by state law). Anyway, years ago, I read about guy in Chicago, who opened an old style service station-he wasked your windshiels, checked the oil, etc.-and he was able to charge a premium price! So, there is probably a market for this type of station.

In Japan they really give you the treatment. Apparently until relatively recently, all gas stations were full-serve. Many of them still are. In most of the ones I’ve been to, the attendant will at the least wipe all of your windows (and I have a van, so there are a couple extras). I’ve had them offer me a cigarette, and give me candy with my change. They don’t automatically check tire pressure, but it’s probably something they’d do. My Japanese just isn’t good enough to ask.

I’m not sure if it’s the same all over Japan, or if it’s just up in the inaka (countryside). But it’s pretty nice, especially in the winter.

That being said, unless it’s freezing, I’d rather do all of those things myself. I sort of hate being waited on, I guess.

P- The gas is always pumped for me, since I’m in New Jersey. Nothing else.

Here in southeast Michigan, full service disappeared about 20 years ago. I remember the seperate self-service/full service pumps. It seemed like the full-service pumps were rarely used; I’d say that at least 95% of customers pumped their own gas. I can’t remember the attendant doing anything other than pumping gas. I suppose he might have cleaned your windshield if you asked, but I’m sure I never saw one check oil or tire pressure or any of that other stuff.

As for air pumps, these days most cost 50 cents or 75 cents, but there’s still a few free ones around, and most stations will turn it on for you if you ask.

I don’t drive, but when I’ve been with friends who do and they’ve stopped off at service stations here – only the elderly or disabled can get attendants out, and that’s only to pump the petrol. After they’ve gone into the service station store to get someone out from behind the counter. Aside from that – nah. None of the above.

While all of that is nice and nostalgic, since I fill up at least twice a week, do I really need the oil checked, tire pressure, windows cleaned, etc. each time?

I think modern cars and modern tires have made the need for checking the oil level and tire pressure less frequent.