How much time do you waste changing your clocks?

About 5 minutes. Please describe why this is “archaic.” It’s actuallya pretty new ritual.

None. The power-happy moron who forced us into our 3-year trial, despite every referendum we’ve ever had saying we don’t want it, can go fuck himself.

10 seconds for my alarm clock. My watch just died, and my laptop adjusts itself.

Cell and computer clocks change themselves. I have to change one clock in the kitchen, the bed side clock and my car clock. I probably spent more time typing out this post.

Stove, nuke and bedroom alarm clock all set last night before I went to bed, maybe a minute or so, tops. Phones and computers are automatic. I might set my car stereo, not that it makes much of a difference–the other car stereo has a bunged up display so I can’t see anything to change the time anyway. Really not a big deal.

Bedroom clock, cable box, computer, and mobile phone all changed time by themselves.

I picked up my watch to see if it needed winding (I didn’t wear it much yesterday) and set it. I changed the clock on the microwave oven. I still have to change the clocks in the back bedroom, the coffee maker, and the car. (I assume the old iMac will change by itself when I start it tomorrow.)

The alarm clock by my bed is the only one I have to change, so I take about 10 seconds twice a year changing clocks.

My grandfather clock shouldn’t be turned back due to the internal gearing for the chimes, so I stop the pendulum, set a timer for an hour, and start the pendulum again when I hear the ding.

I figure I spent 5-10 minutes. I don’t feel that any of it was a waste.

It may help to understand what’s going on. It’s not called “Hour Saving Time,” and it’s not meant to save anyone an hour. It’s called “Daylight Saving Time,” and it’s meant to save/use the additional morning daylight provided during the summer by getting society’s everyday activities started earlier. Which means that the great majority of folks, whether they want to or not, have more natural light throughout the day to illuminate what they do. I would venture that you used, and likely appreciated, many such hours.

Five seconds for my daily-wear watch. I might change my car dashboard clock next time I drive (twenty seconds, including fifteen to remember how to do it), or I might just leave it until the next maintenance interval (the shop guys always set the clock if it’s wrong). Counting my other watches the next time I wear them, thirty five seconds total.

I live in Indiana, which only recently got on board over much howling and gnashing of teeth. I really don’t see what the big deal is.

Seriously. Maybe people in the south don’t get it, but if anyone in the north is complaining about the hassle of Daylight Savings, I wonder if they would actually prefer total darkness at 3:45 pm on a cold January day.

Then you would be wrong. I don’t have any use for natural light and I don’t need to keep to rigid sleep and wake times. I have zero use for daylight saving time.

I changed about 15 devices today, wall clocks, watches, and electronics. Some of the time was spent hunting down the correct remote controls. Most of my electronics cannot be set to automatically adjust for DST, because George Bush’s administration changed the date on the calendar when the changes occur.

Jeez… is this your house? It took me approximately 30 seconds to change my alarm clock and car clock. Everything else in my life (computers, cell phone, cable box, etc) changed by itself.

Joe

The 10 seconds it takes to change the one in my car.

A couple of minutes. I tend to leave a couple of clocks on the wrong time until somebody bitches about it too much or I get confused.

This year, a good hour and a half. I have a couple auto-update type with issues, and a few more old-fashioned analog types that I set wrong a few days ago because the others were wrong . . .

Without that little cluster, it usually takes about 15 minutes, including the 10 minutes trying to remember how to set my car radio.

Every clock I own with the exception of my watch and my car clock (which is off anyways) self-adjust, so about 5 seconds.

Another one who just doesn’t.

Every electrical appliance I have seems to have a clock, and it drives me batty.

I gave up re-setting them years ago. If the power has gone off, and I notice, and I have my cell handy, and I’m in the mood, I’ll reset them.

Just the wristwatch, microwave (only because I like seeing the time there) and bedside clock. Less than five minutes, depending on how slow I do it. When my place had another couple of clocks (pendulum) on the wall, it took a bit longer.

Which reminds me, I need to reset the microwave clock again.

Oh, yeah? Then why is it so hot and dry in Arizona, hmmm?