How obsessive are you about your iTunes (or equivalent) library?

• I will say this however: I don’t have a home stereo now and don’t want one. The last one was a little bookshelf stereo that died some years back, but even then I rarely used it. I would buy a portable unit if I suddenly needed one, but I will probably never buy another home-stereo unit again.
        ~

Well, i don’t use iTunes, or any other music orginizing software. I play my music with Winamp 2.91. Winamp 3 was a piece of crap (no jump to file feature? What the Hell were they thinking?!) and I have had no desire to upgrade to 4.0 or 5.0 or whatever they’re up to now, cause I don’t have a lot of songs and don’t need a huge orginizational structure. I have less than 2 GB worth of music, and it’s in a folder called ‘Music.’ Within that folder, are folders for genres, I have classic rock, alternative, 80’s, humor, etc…And within each of those is a folder for the artist, and in the artist’s folder are the songs, not in any way orginized by year or album. If I have only one song by an artist, it doesn’t get it’s own folder, the file is just loose in the genre folder. I don’t have a single complete album by any artist, cause I’m not a huge music buff. I really know mostly the radio hits from artists.

As for the MP3’s themselves, if I rip a new one or otherwise obtain it, I always make it’s filename C:\Music\Genre\Artist\Artist - Songname.mp3

There has to be a space before and after the dash, it’s one of the few things I’m anal about with my music. I also edit the ID tag, since a lot are labeled improperly. I usually only have the artist and song name filled in, the rest deleted. Of course, when ripping .i my software usses the CDDB database and fills in a bunch of stuff for me, since, 99% of the time it’s correct, I’ll leave it. Oh, and to change the tags of existing songs, I would just scroll to the file in Winamp and hit ALT+3. If I get behind in updating songs, I then have to go through a LOT of songs this way and it’s very tedious, so I’m better at doing it when I first get a song.

My old way of orginization would make some people cry. I had a folder called ‘music.’ Every song was in there with no structure, wrong filenames, and wrong ID tags, and I didn’t care.

Since jumping over to Itunes and a 10Gb Ipod, I’ve amassed a good 90 to 100 Gb of music. (Me and the officemates perform ‘offsite data redundancy’ for purely backup purposes. :smiley: )

Of that music, perhaps 40 gb of it is on my harddisk at any point in time, the rest have been backed up to DVD+R as it’s Cra^h^h^h^h stuff I don’t particularly care for.

A lifesaver has been www.allofmp3.com, sure hope it stays around (based on its quasi-legality) as they have a TON of cheap, high-quality, well tagged music.

All of my MP3s (I only have MP3s; almost all are from eMusic or ripped from my CDs, maybe 90%; the rest are old Kazaa downloads and I’m trying to buy the CDs) are organized into folders by artist and then album, with filenames in the Artist - Track Title format. Each file is tagged with artist, track title, artist name, and track number. That’s all the information I need.

I use WinAmp 5 to listen to my songs. I don’t like the ‘Media Library’, so I just dump everything into one huge playlist and use the file jump feature to move around.

FWIW, I have 6659 tracks from 285 artists. My music takes up 33GB, more than half of my hard drive. Tracks ripped from my CDs are 192kbps MP3s; eMusic tracks are high-quality VBR MP3s. I own 143 store-bought CDs; the rest of my songs are from eMusic. Right now, my portable player (Rio Karma) has 3750 tracks loaded on it, with room for maybe 70 more.

All my physical media is organized alphabetically by artist and year. Everything on my hard drive is obsessively categorized pretty much like Podkayne’s.