how often do you wear a kippah?

Ah, Tel-Aviv in the summer – when the semi-official uniform for most women (and many men, but I’m not interested in them ;)) at leisure is tank-top/sleeveless + shorts + sandals!

Or IOW – what **Alessan **said! :slight_smile:

And with this, we have probably completed a 180° departure from the OP…

How do you keep the kippah on your head? Looks like it could fall off at any moment.

A hair clip, also known as a “Bobby Pin” (which really should be “Bubbe” (grandmother) Pin)

I use this velcro-like tape. I stick it inside the keppah and the hooks stick to my goyisch hair. :slight_smile:

:smack: Kinda obvious when you think about it.
That’s all well and good for people with hair, but what about bald ones? Glue? Chinstrap? I’m guessing a kippah just sits better on a bald head.

Gravity!

Kippa: ^
Head: O

I’m not going to diagram the vectors in ascii art, but you see what I mean.

I pretty much always wear it. I’ve recently made an exception for the gross anatomy lab, because I don’t want to unconsciously adjust it and get formaldehyde/cadaver fluids in my hair.

If I’m wearing clothes, I’m wearing a kippah.

I don’t use clips or pins, but mine just stays on. I have short, fuzzy buzzed hair which seems to create more friction and help it stay on better. As long as I don’t move my head too vigorously it usually stays on.

As I said in the OP, I usually keep mine on at home most of the time but I take it off when I smoke. I don’t think it officially counts as a chillul hashem, but for some reason I just feel bad wearing my kippah while I smoke.

For years, I wore one every day. Like DocCathode, if I was clothed, I also wore a kippah. This was partly an exercise in examining issues of belief versus practice, and partly a response to my frustration with the way many people around me seemed to assume that Christianity is simply the default state of being.*

I kept up this practice when I was working in semi-rural Wisconsin, where I seemed to be the only non-Christian for miles and miles. After I returned to a more culturally diverse region, I stopped wearing one. Here, people assume that kippah = Orthodox, which I definitely am not.**

• This is not to be construed as a criticism of Christians or Christianity.
    ** Heck, I might as well just accept that I’m an atheist.

Today, a man saw my yarmulke and assumed I was Orthodox.

“What’s an Orthodox Jew doing in a Chinese buffet?”

I told him “If it has soy sauce on it, it doesn’t count”.

Yes, I really got to deliver the classic line in real life. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful meal.

I didn’t think there was a misconception that Chinese food was not kosher.

Heck, where’s the stereotype of Jews eating Chinese food on Christmas Day come from anyway?

Almost as cool as when the guy at Complete Computing asked me what was wrong with the printer, and I said, “Smoke comes out the back.”

Maybe better. :slight_smile:

Probably because those are more likely to be open on Christmas Day than other types of restaurants.

Also, it’s almost ridiculously easy to adhere to “Kashrut-Lite[sup]TM[/sup]”* with Chinese food – they don’t use any dairy in Chinese cuisine, so just lay off the Pork and Shrimp dishes, and you’re OK…

• Obviously this isn’t good enough for most Orthodox and some other Jews; but I think most American Jews fall under this level of keeping kosher, or less (or not at all)

And stay away from the crab Ragoon.