How often (if ever) do you have something you COULD add to a thread...

If I’m reading from work and I know that what I’m going to say is going to elicit heated responses, I’ll decide at the last minute not to post it. Because otherwise I’ll be on the Dope the rest of the day instead of actually doing my job.

Also, sometimes I’m tempted to say something that’s already been said and then I realize that I will either seem like I’m piling on or being an annoying “me too” type of poster. So I just hit the back button.

^^^ this here, best post in the history of the SDMB.

And for myself, I do it all the time - sometimes to the point of having something typed out, then deciding not to post it. Usually because I worry it’s too flippant about something the OP is serious about, or too snarky about something the OP is sensitive about.

I basically try to behave here like I do IRL, and what I do in real life is try to live like I tell my kids to live:

No matter what you do or become in life - rich, poor; educated, streetwise; gay, straight, whatever - the only things I really care about are that you be honest and kind. And if find you can be only one of those, I’d rather you were kind.

The vast majority of the time I write a response, then delete it and move on. It usually boils down to my mood, and whether I feel I’m only going to get caught up in an argument with posters who appear to want nothing more to do than argue.

After thinking it over, I’ve come to the grand realization that all the world’s problems could be solved once and for all, if only we could… ooh, my pies are done!

These things.

Which, now that I think of it, have already been said…

Also, I talk too damn much, even when I’m typing.

All the time. Due to the boards ingrained slant on certain subjects I don’t bother posting in a bunch of threads because the knee jerk reaction from a loud minority makes it not worth the trouble.

This knee jerk minority is very vocal and self 're-enforcing. They shout down those that they disagree with, hurling ad hominems along the way.

In fact I 've been debating just leaving this place as the powers that be obviously don’t give a shit and, in some cases, are a part of the problem. Add in the fact that it seems the number of posters and posts seems to have dropped drastically and I wonder why I still come here. I imagine that it is in the hope, probably misplaced, that the mods will figure out that their decisions are running this place into the ground and things will change.

Of course that ain’t gonna happen. It appears that the PTB want an echo chamber and that is what they are getting.

Slee

Somewhat different, but I often spend some time on a message and end up deleting it because it was insufficiently insightful/amusing/whatever. Not worth the electrons. This is not uncommon for me.

Reasons a long-time member doesn’t post very often:

[ul]
[li]Doesn’t think there’s anything new to add to the dicussion, and doesn’t want to waste other’s time. Lots of time I wish others would feel the same way.[/li][li]Sees that the same thing has already been posted, and doesn’t want to be a “me-too” post.[/li][li]Sees the thread has gone on long enough and would just get lost[/li][li]Doesn’t get lots of feedback on previous posts, so why bother[/li][li]Not sure if what would be added would be germane to the discussion or the OP (like this post)[/li][li]Doesn’t want to give away any personal details or embarassing stories [/li][li]Initimidated by others’ long posts and frequent contributions[/li][/ul]

I’ve lurked here for about 5-6 years before finally joining.

There are lots of threads I thought about posting in, but most of those are more of a “+1” or “me too” in nature & don’t really contribute. A lot of the rest just bum me out. There will be a few insightful posts on an interesting topic, but then out come the chucklenuts or offenderati that crap on the rest of the thread. So ehh, why bother? I don’t check any threads on racism anymore or political stuff for that reason alone.

What I really miss around here are some neat, interesting stories (the blimp that lurked in the night was great), Sampiro’s family stories & rants from Euthanasiast.
There are still lots of threads with some great witticisms that keep me coming back.

Well if a topic is gone on for a couple of pages, most likely what I have to say has already been covered so why should I re-state it?

This is usually why I don’t post something I’ve written or mostly written. I realize that I’ve written the sort of thing that shouldn’t be a drive-by, but I don’t have the time and energy to stick around and defend it. So I leave the tab open for a few hours, and then kill it.

Wow really? What kind? I’ve got Ice cream! May I come over with my Ice cream? I will even help with the dishes!! PLEASE!!

As far as not posting often, There are often many reasons that I do not post. One of the main reasons that I do not post is I do not have that much to contribute. If I can help another poster with a problem, I will. However, if one of the other mechanic types has answered with the answer that I would have given, I often just move on to another thread without posting.

I rarely say “me too”, yet, if I think that doing so will save someone else a lot of hassle, then I do.

Like Lydia, I lurked for years before joining. I wanted to be sure that you-all were fairly smart, (well, smarter then I anyway), and that I would be able to contribute to the board in a positive way.

If I can be helpful I try to be. If the thread is just a bunch of arguing, I pass.

As has been mentioned, opinionated threads end up being a waste of time and energy, once again, pass.

If the thread has resorted +/or reduced to name calling, Pass.

My time is limited so I generally only go to IMHO, GQ, and time permitting, MPSIMS. Some of the rest are often just arguing for the sake of arguing, Pass. I will, of course, get flamed for that comment. So be it. Some of the rest just do not interest me.

If the subject of a thread is interesting to me and I think that someone else can enlighten me then I post.

Like many before me, I try to triple check my posts for spelling and grammatical errors. My privacy is important to me, so I check for personal content as well. If a post can not be edited to eliminate the personal stuff, I often delete it. Remember, once something is online, it is there forever!

I hope that my answer to the OP is what they were looking for, 48.