How on earth to give a cat Clavamox by mouth?

Great! Now all you have to do is repeat that every six hours for the next ten days, right? :slight_smile:

(Good luck! The first time is the hardest, and it does get better from here. Take it from someone who has, in the past, had to give one cat pills three times a day and a liquid twice a day, another cat two pills a day, and a dog two pills twice a day. You’re on your way to expert status.)

I once had to give a cat Milk of Magnesia for a week. It’s amazing how much of the stuff got on all the walls, the floor and the ceiling.

Years later, I had to administer a hypodermic to the same cat. I held him in my lap, pulled up a little skin on his back, and put the needle into the “tent.” He made no indication that he even felt it. In fact he was purring.

OTOH my dog is on Clavamox right now, I just put it in her food bowl with her regular food and I don’t even think she notices it. Hell, I could probably say “treat” and I’ll bet she’d dance around the room like an idiot trying to get it from me.

I have to give my dog two capsules in the morning and two in the evening. He hates having me open his mouth and stick the pills in, but on the rare occasion that he spits one out, he’ll immediately sniff it and then lick it back up off the floor (I’d just have him eat them that way, but he’s supposed to swallow them whole).

I’ve suggested to the one cat who still needs to take pills that he could learn something from the dog’s attitude, but so far he’s unmoved.

If you put your fingers in a cat’s mouth to hold it open, you get bitten. Put your fingers instead on the back of the cat’s cheeks and squeeze. If you do it right, you push the cat’s cheeks between the upper and lower teeth. Now, kitty can’t bite down on your fingers without biting through its cheeks first.

I discovered this method while giving my mom’s Cornish Rex, Farfel medication and it works great.

Honestly? I would never go through the grueling experience of trying to get liquid meds down a cat again when there are TWO YT-worthy occasions a day of a kitten eating happily out of my hand. :slight_smile: A meme in search of a digital camera! And someone else to hold it.:stuck_out_tongue:

My last trip to the vet she told me she could give Kiko a new injectable antibiotic instead of Clavamoxmox that was more effective and only given once. Well worth the 75.00 to never have to fight with moxmox again…

Long before I became a pharmacist, I had a cat that had to take a bubblegum-flavored suspension, and she LOVED it. I would squirt it on top of her food, and she licked it right off. This same cat also loved corn and spaghetti sauce, so go figure.

Have you tried mixing it with cod liver oil? That’s not infrequently used as a suspending agent when compounding liquid meds for cats, because they usually like it.