How scary is the Muslim Brotherhood?

And then it got worse.

What you’re describing is a Martin Luther moment in history that would start the ball rolling to separate religion from politics.

The same roadblock exists which is the intensity of belief that drives followers to enforce that belief.

Which one?

Not an encouraging analogy. Luther kicked off more than a century of religious wars before Age of Reason rolled around.

Well yeah, but he felt bad about it.

Specifically, his raging antisemitism doesn’t lend any encouragement to the analogy, either.

Oh great, now terrorists are going to be nailing feces to the door!

It’s not going to happen overnight.

Egyptian court dissolves Islamist-dominated parliament.

Shit hitting fan in 3, 2, 1…

Oh, great. The constitutional court just ordered Parliament dissolved.

Yes. And a lot of us said it was going to be rocky a year ago and you still argued it was for the best.

In respect to the “Arab Spring” I always thought it was the uncertainty factor of religion/culture/politics that made it so.

The feudal system is so hard to understand from a Western cultural perspective because it relies on local connections which are intertwined with religion, culture and politics. For a Democracy to exist something has to change in the social mindset. Something very radical.

It’s not unlike the American revolution which was made up of and fought with local militias loyal to their own group and not a cohesive Federal military institution. The crafting of the US Constitution was an integral step in bringing everybody together under one flag.

. . . not something they have.

tribal, call it what you want. It exists.

Well, it seems what they have there just now is a counterrevolution, i.e., a coup by the military establishment. Better the Ogdamned MB than that!

Not so much in Egypt, though. Egypt is perhaps the only true nation-state in the Arab world. It doesn’t have much of a tradition of democracy, perhaps, but it does have a national unity that’s lacking elsewhere.

Well, it’s probably moot, since the military has basically seized power in a coup, from what I can tell. :eek:

-XT

Thanks for the input. That’s interesting. What word best describes what I’m referring to in the region? Tribal, clan, ???

The question is not whether there is a tribal element in Egypt - of course there is. The question is does it impact on voting now.
This article suggests that one consequence of the revolution has been a significant weakening of the influence of tribal elders, at least in the South.

Morsy (apparently) wins – FWIW.