How strong was Andre the Giant?

Thanks for the replies. I ran across a picture of him online, and got thinking about it last night.

It would have been epic if he had been into powerlifting or Olympic lifting in his prime.

I met him when I was a kid, really nice guy. If you think he looked big on camera, imagine seeing him in person when you were 8. A friend of my dad’s was a pro wrestler who traveled with Andre on the wrestling circuit. He said they had to take the back seat out of the car so he could fit, and in the hour or so it took to drive to the next town he could drink an entire case of beer.

I was going to post it with references to the movie, but I was so damn tired last night that I just cut to the chase.

And he had to be pretty strong to climb that rope caring 3 people.

“It’s not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don’t even exercise!”

Anybody want a peanut?

I do like the story from The Princess Bride.

Andre’s accent was so thick that he couldn’t get out the lines. Mandy Patankin, in character as Inigo Montoya, lept up, slapped Andre hard across the face, called him Fezzik and told him to speak clearly. For a second Andre looked like he was going to kill Mandy and everyone held their breath.

After that, he spoke his lines clearly.

I rode with him on a plane from Japan to Hawaii in the early '80s. Talked with him a bit but mainly we drank beer and napped. Wish I had had a camera phone back then.

Heh.

If Andre the Giant had a posse he would then be Andrea the Giant.

He’s on the brute squad.

3… 2… 1…

You’re sure you’re not confusing him with the Great Antonio ?

He IS the Brute Squad.

Utterly unimpressive-- Anyone can do that, given the opportunity.

I wish André the Giant and Wallace Shawn could have gotten together to film My Dinner With André The Giant.

Look, that midgets got a vicious streak a mile wide. It’s a killer! He’ll do you up a treat mate!

Curiously enough I was watching a recently cartoonized accompaniment to that interview just a few hours ago. I subscribe to Arnold’s Twitter page and he posted a link to it today. Pretty amusing. Some interesting info on Wilt Chamberlain too. Here’s it is:

By the time of The Princess Bride, the answer is “not very”. Like many people with acromegaly, he suffered from severe bone, nerve and joint pain, and just after Princess Bride had very invasive back surgery to attempt to correct what’s described as an abnormally narrow opening that the spinal cord runs through (spinal stenosis, perhaps? I can’t find a diagnosis, but that’s what it sounds like). Cary Elwes was quite concerned about hurting him during their fight scene, and some camera tricks were used to make it look like he was bearing Elwes’ weight on his back when he wasn’t. While he could probably still *pull *weight, using his own impressive bodyweight as a counter weight, he couldn’t lift much anymore.

Citation, citation…uh, the commentary on one of the DVDs maybe? I wrote a paper on it in school once, but that was a couple of hard drives ago.

Not knowing anything about him, other than he was extremely tall and extremely large, I’d wager a guess that his deadlift max would be hella impressive while is squat-while obviously impressive just by the raw numbers-would be much more human-like. Tall lifters tend to hold a bit of advantage with lifts such as the deadlift, while shorter, thicker lifters do better with lifts like the squat.

Unbelievable that several people here have actually ran into the guy, talked and met him on different occassions.

Beer!-he used to drink at a bar outside joppatowne MD after a show in Balto. the civic center. I think at midway liquors or inn one time he passed out after ?cases of beer and several fifths of liquor and no one could move him so they covered him up and let him sleep till later that day. He and the other wrestlers were always nice, fun and nutty to hang with. I hung out a couple times as i lived in joppa.