How to Best Celebrate A Birthday Alone?

I try to spend some quality time in the outdoors on my b-day. A couple of hours of peace and quiet in a natural setting is one of the best presents I could ever hope for.

I really like the pedicure idea. Or a massage or a hairdo (or just a wash and style).

Do something for yourself.

And eat junk food!

I’d go to the zoo. Being with all the animals will make you feel better

I’m not a big “birthday” person. Maybe it’s because of how I was raised, but I just don’t see the big deal.

That said, just think about the things you normally resist during a regular day and indulge in them. If you don’t want to work out, don’t. If you want to eat a large pizza all by yourself, do it. If you want to sleep in late, call the job and say you’re be a couple of hours late. Buy yourself something you think you might at least kinda-sorta like.

There’s no need to feel sorry for yourself (not saying you are, just saying it for GP). Chances are this is going to happen again…such is life. Adults who feel entitled to a big smash on “their” day always kind of irk me, although I guess if I had friends and they always did a “thing” for someone else but had forgotten me, I’d feel a bit peeved.

Ouch. I have the same problem. And most of my friends are scattered worldwide. So I just don’t celebrate–I think we all reach that point, A birthday is just another day to me. I don’t buy so much as a cupcake with a candle in it.

I don’t mean “I refuse to acknowledge it!” or a denial of aging; just more of a “feh” reaction.

Hey, didn’t Tony Perkins make a big fuss over his birthday cake his wife forgot in Psycho III – whichever one where he calls into a radio talk show and creeps everybody out. Nuff reason to stay chill on the ol’ birthday. That line always stuck in my head “What about my cake?” or something like that, talking to his wife on the phone.

All kinds of good advice. I like mine about writing a letter – you’ll wake up in the morning having done something really excellent, and you won’t remember your “big day” as having just been circling the drain, but having been awesome.

Since you’re planning to go to work anyway, why not take in some treat to share with your coworkers. You don’t have to tell them why - it can be your secret birthday party! And they’ll all love you for the cake/brownies/donuts/bagels/whatever.

I tend to ignore my birthdays just because, well, who cares? It’s not like I did anything to be born in the first place, and surviving one more years isn’t so hard where I live. Of course, I’m just an old grouch anyway… :wink:

Wow, TONS of good suggestions from so many clever people! Better than a birthday party!!

I am taking home-baked cookies to work. I do this every year. Also candy for my students. I do tell people who ask that it’s my birthday, but I always explain that ever since I was a kid and read that Hobbits celebrate birthdays by giving OTHER people gifts, I like to celebrate that way. And I bring in candy for my students. Even cynical teens love getting treats, and their happiness makes my day. Hope that doesn’t sound too sappy.

I really wish I could go to the zoo, but the nearest one is about an 8 hour drive. I DO think being around animals would be a happy experience. I can’t have pets in my rental house, but I’m going to bring treats to the neighbors’ dogs (have already got the OK), and that will be fun. Dogs have just the right attitude about birthdays: Huh? Oh, treats?!

Yes, Mom would have loved it if I got something really nice for myself. I know I’ll probably get a little teary when I think of her–she was a fantastic mom and the whole reason I have a birthday to celebrate–but she would have hated it if my missing her made me unhappy (She ended every phone call with, “Be happy!”), so I’m going to try hard to count my blessings and be upbeat.

Doc, I loved that photo of you in your helmet! It totally cracked me up. If I had such headgear, I would wear it all day. But how do you keep the women off you when you’ve got it on? :slight_smile:

FB wishes WILL be nice–that wasn’t mawkish at all! And I will write a letter to an elderly WWII vet friend who lives on his own and far away.

Thanks, everyone!

Is voting closed?

When I’m celebrating solo I use the real silver that was my great aunt’s, or fix myself a pot of tea in another heirloom, and drink my icewater from crystal stemware. I might only have scrambled eggs and toast, but I use the good china.

Treat yourself right!

Bake yourself a cake. :smiley:

Voting is still open, and in the great Chicago tradition, you can vote more than once! I am going to take your suggestion. My colorful aunt left me some champagne glasses with gold confetti in the glass–a little tacky, maybe, but they remind me of good times with her. I’m going to use one on my birthday.

You know, I’ve always wanted to bake my own birthday cake, but that’s too much cake for me, Johnny. Want to come over and help me eat it? :slight_smile:

And after working all day (which you enjoy) and stopping for some good take-out, come home, sit on the Dope and we’ll talk to ya…

Hey my birthday is on Tuesday too! Happy Birthday. I have decided to take the day off and will be alone for the most part but I have not decided what to do yet if anything. Birthday’s are not a big deal for me.

Me, three! Happy Birthday to us! :stuck_out_tongue: I expect no presents, but hubby will either take me to a restaurant or cook me a steak dinner.

I imagine that’s what that cool staff he’s holding is for.

I think you have a great plan for your birthday! Just be sure to do things that make you feel happy that day, and go about with a smile inside. I hope you have a terrific day!

My birthday is waaaaay early in January. Back when I used to be in the Army, I had the luxury of living all over the world. I would spend every New Year’s Eve in a different city/country. Then I would head back to wherever I called home for my bday and spend the day in solemn reflection about my life. Giving thanks that I was still alive, wondering what mistakes I’ve made in the past year (and trying to figure out what I could learn from said mistakes) and reviewing whatever goals I would have for the coming year. It was a pretty fun annual event.

Now that I’m stuck in Maryland, I had once connected with a group where there was a self-professed “Queen of the Calendar” who would remember everybody’s birthday and make sure it was an event. Except mine. For ten years, I was “forgotten”. I don’t hang with these people anymore. Thanks, Monstro, for the memory. :stuck_out_tongue: *

Nowadays I simply celebrate my birthday with a vacation day. As well as Veteran’s Day. I do like to drink at 10 AM on a Wednesday. Feels like playing hookey with a paid day off.

*=Just kidding. I know it’s not your intent to insult.

OK, I’m going to check back in here Tuesday night and hope to see everyone who’s having a birthday that day along with everyone who wants in on virtual birthday cake and champagne. Or quaff your favorite actual beverage. We’ll conduct an SD-style experiment and see if the typing gets worse as the evening progresses.

I’m having a great time already. Thanks, Dopers!

See ya on Tuesday!

If it’s not too late to suggest:
Before bed, take the book- the one that got you interested, the one that you loved to read. Take the book that was special to you when you were young. Sit in bed and read it. Smile as you did when you used to read it over and over. Then put it aside, turn off the lights, and sleep.

(Milne and LeGuin both sit on my nightstand for this purpose.)

Jerk off? I dunno, maybe that’s more of a guy thing. And really, there’s no need to wait for your birthday!. :stuck_out_tongue: