How to contact an author?

I should mention that I once did write to two authors, after finding a home address for one(in Vancouver, B.C.) and a university routed one, in Texas. I had charming replies from both authors. But for the life of me I couldn’t remember how I found the addresses. :smack: Stupid of me, I guess.

It’s funny that you should bring up the topic of contacting an author. I have been extensively researching something and I have found the address of an author. He is one of five people connected to a little known but highly controversial story. He is the last one living and when he dies, everything he knows dies with him.

I have been contemplating writing to him but I fear that by doing so may come back to haunt me later on. So it is not always the author that is worried about others knowing about them. Once I complete my research which will be at the Library of Congress, I hope that I can decide whether to enter into correspondence. But again I am very worried about anyone besides me and the author finding out any of this. I suppose that I could alert the news networks anonymously to interview him. And that is what I will probably do. So you may see an interview in a couple of years but you will not know it is because of me.