How to cook a pork chop?

If you have a thick chop, cut a pocket in it with a paring knife. Stuff it with fresh seasoned breadcrumbs mixed with fresh sage and finely diced apples. Cook either in a pan or in the oven (without overcooking!). Then lightly saute some thin apple slices in butter and serve on top of the chop.

Rub the chops down with salt, garlic powder, fresh pepper and ground cloves. Grill.

That is all.

Wait, one more thing. Don’t overcook. Please. You don’t have to cook pork well done anymore. Medium is what you’re looking for…just half a titch past the last trace of pink. But only half a titch! Two titches is too far!

Oh, a second more thing. Let it rest for 3 or 4 minutes after grilling, so the meat can reabsorb the juices. And remember that the chop will continue to cook from its residual heat after you remove it from the grill. So if you remove it while it still has a titch of pink and let it rest for 3 or 4 minutes the last titch of pink will be gone by the time you cut into it.

Need it be said that pork and apple is a classic combination? Make any apple side dish you like. But also consider peaches.

Well, I can see that pork chops are going to be on my menu a lot more now.

I seriously don’t think I’ve cooked any pork in my adult life. Huh.

I rub my chops (on both sides) with a garlicky mixture and sloooooow bake.
Rub all surfaces including bones - go ahead, massage it all in!

Garlic powder
Salt
Black pepper
Paprika

Sometimes I’ll add onions and celery - sometimes not.

I use a shallow roasting pan and cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.

Reduce temp to 175 - 200 degrees and let cook until all my chores are done. (I never time it, it just works out).

Remove chops from pan and make gravy with succulent drippings.

Ok

Season the chop with salt, pepper and rosemary

Wame some Olive oil in pan

Get one green apple and an onion (white or yellow)

Slice the onion thin. Same with the apple. (quarter it first and then cut thin slices)

Grill the chop about 2-3 minutes on each side, then cover, reduce heat and let cook for about 6-8 minutes. (till it hits 130)

Then remove the chop, cover lightly and put the onions and apples in the pan and put in some Vermouth or white wine or applecider. (a cup/ cup and a half) Then put the onions and apples over the chop and drizzle the sauce on the whole thing.

Bread it with egg wash and panko bead crumbs, mixed with dried Italian seasonings. Brown lightly on both sides in olive oil. Place in a baking dish with a bit of marinara, a sprinkling of mozzarella and a bit of parmesan. Bake at 350° until cheese is bubbly and chop is done.

Yummy. This all sounds so good. Thanks!

I’ll second this. Everything else is personal preference, but do not overcook. I’m not so sure about medium, but longer cooking on lower heat is good. Cook it through, but not so quickly that it will dry out. Too many people fry a pork chop like a hamburger and it turns out as dry as an old shoe. I like about a titch and a half past pink… :wink:

I’m glad you all agree with post #2 ! :slight_smile:

I do almost exactly this to boneless loin chops, except the onion is sliced as thin as possible, and instead of white wine, I use apple juice. Pork and apples work extremely well together, and the onions come out rich and caramelized.

Damn. Now I’m all hungry.

Rinse pork chop in lukewarm water, shake off excess water, salt it, roll it in flour, and deep fry it in a good vegetable oil like safflower until rich golden brown. Pour off all but a heaping tablespoon of the oil (leaving any flakes of flour in the skillet) then toss a tablespoon of fresh flour, pepper, and salt, turn heat back on, cook until flour browns, then stir in fresh milk, about 1/2 cup, and cook until thickened. That’s your basic gravy. Serve with rice or biscuits.

Apple and pineapple juices are good cooking liquids for pork. Poultry seasoning is pretty good on pork. Personally, I tend to brown our chops in butter on top of the stove, and finish them in the oven. If you like cruciferous veggies, then they go very nicely with pork. Applesauce is a wonderful side dish or dessert.

We always compare the prices on pork chops, steaks, and loin chops. Often it’s cheaper to buy pork steaks or loin chops.

ghetto-fabulous apple-brandy pork chops:

Salt and pepper chops and brown em up a little bit in a pan with a bit of butter.

Remove the chops from the pan, and pour a couple tablespoons of whatever brand of brandy you have in the pan, and add two or so tablespoons of apple jelly. Simmer, reducing the sauce- the jelly will melt with the heat.

When the sauce reaches a nice light syrup consistancy, add chops back in to finish, coating them in the apple brandy sauce.

Depending on how much bite/sweet you like, adjust the ratio of brandy and apple jelly. The hubby adds a tsp of garlic to his when he makes this dish as well. Either way, this goes well with baby carrots, or sweet potatoes.

For those keeping score at home, the score is now:

BlueKangaroo: 0

BlueKangaroo’s Abysmal Cookings skills: 7,608,943

I tried the braising method mentioned above, since it sounded fairly simple for someone of my limited kitchen skills and limited kitchen stuff. I managed to make something that looked quite tasty, but was almost completely inedible. I got through about half the chop.

While, from everything, it’s clear I overcooked the chop, I can’t say what I did wrong. I mean, aside from taking a rather lovely looking piece of raw meat and transforming it into minor evil.

Which braising method? A lot of the ones mentioned would qualify as variations on braising. Did you simmer the meat for a nice long time? “Overcooking” only applies when you cook with direct, dry heat (grill, oven, pan fry). When you simmer things in liquid they cannot be overcooked. They are more likely to be tough if cooking time is too short.

Oh, and simmer means simmer, not boil; only tiny little bubbles should be coming to the surface. On a gas stove, that means the heat should be just barely on.

I went with the easy braise in post #2, with the edit in post #3.

I did turn the heat down all the way on the stove, for the 8 minutes mentioned above, then peeked at it and saw it boiling away. Given that I was already worried I’d overbrowned it (it wasn’t burnt, but I was on a hunch that I’d left it too much on one side), I decided it was the right amount of time, too much heat (boil vs simmer), and probably should be taken out and eaten.

Only, by then, I’d turned it to minor evil. However I did it.

6 cups water
3 Tablespoons salt
3 Tablespoons sugar (white or brown; I prefer brown)

Let the pork chops brine for one hour. Do not overbrine.

Season, but skip the salt (or go very easy on it), as the chops will have some saltiness from the brine. My favorite is just an equal mixture of crushed black and white pepper, and crushed, fennel seeds. You can also go for a mix of paprika, black pepper, onion and/or garlic powder, hot pepper, a hint of cloves or allspice, etc.

Fry in oil or lard in a hot pan. If you have one-inch chops, it’ll take about 5-8 minutes a side. Brown them well, but don’t burn. Don’t move them around much so they brown well. If you’re bad at judging doneness, just sacrifice one of the chops and cut into it. I like my pork still slightly pink (think steak medium).

That’s it. You don’t have to brine (I often don’t), but it’s a nice safety net.

Another favorite way for me to prepare chops is schnitzel style. Take boneless loin chops, pound them down with a meat hammer as thin as you can get them without breaking up the meat, dredge in flour, then beaten egg mixtures, then breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and whatever else you like. Fry until brown on each side. Since they are so thin, it’s practically impossible to undercook. When the bread coating gets brown, the meat should be well-cooked.

Well, I’m not giving up on pork, despite the grossness of today’s “lunch”. But I do think I’ll continue to be wary of it.

If there weren’t so many delicious looking recipes in this thread, I might give up, though.

A coupe theories:

1. if you have an electric stove, it takes a while to cool down. Therefor, the heat was too high for most the the time the pan was on the stove. Electric stoves are a pain that way - one work-around is to move the pan half-off the burner while the temp cools down.
  2. I guess I disagree with squeegee’s instructions. In my experience, a lean boneless loin chop cooked that way is guaranteed to be tough. It might be a good method for fatty or bone-in chops, which retain moisture much better. With a lean loin chop, though, I would personally let it simmer a minimum of 30 minutes to become fork-tender (turning once in cooking).

I think the end result is that it was overcooked for dry heat and undercooked for moist heat.

Well, it was a gas stove, so the problem was totally user-error, not stove-type-error.

Thanks, though. I’ll bear those ideas in mind if I go to make another chop. How fatty is “fatty”?