How to drive a service dog user/trainer BATTY.

BTW, Elenfair, where you live, don’t those big stickers on the mall & restaurant doors that say “dogs prohibited” include a big ol’ saying about service dogs are allowed?

Sampiro: Wasn’t that story (“story” used in the journalistic sense) covered/resurrected in the print media recently?

Stands up a bit straighter

Not only do I know this, but my children do as well. I have done at least one thing right in raising them. :wink:

Following up on Ashes question, is there an appropriate way to intervene if you see a service dog getting a little frazzled? I’m assuming if the person is not blind they can see the situation, but would it be appropriate to offer help? What would be a tactful way to do that?

Answering questions:

Sampiro - not a woosh at all. Front load washers and dryers are a wonderful invention! Our dogs can load and unload the machines, drag a basket from one end of the house to the other, and in some cases even learn how to press the right buttons to get the darn thing to start. No, they don’t sort or make decisions on cycle types :wink:

Ashes n’ ivylass - there are times when anyone could use a hand. Truth is, there are people who are totally oblivious, sometimes, and the poor service dog gets a little worried. If both the dog and the handler seem a little lost, there’s no harm in asking the person if they need a hand. I usually go for the “My, it’s insane in here today! Need a hand with anything?” approach and leave it at that…

Monty - thankfully, most establishments do. Some, however, do not, and some employees are totally clueless. It is, however, REALLY FUN to watch their managers’ faces when they get called to check the situation out. Hee.

Finn - hey, learn something new every day! :slight_smile: We usually tell people not to pet a working dog because the dog has a job to do and can get distracted by outside attention. In other cases, the dogs can sometimes get a little over-protective of their owners and growl or snap at someone who is trying to pet them (I’ve seen this happen on a number of occasions… eek!) Most of our jackets, capes and harnesses have a “Please no not pet” or “I’m working, please do not pet” sign on them to help remind folks. :slight_smile:

I usually leave a person with a service dog alone to do their thing, with perhaps a discreet nudge to Mr. S and a whispered “There’s a dog with a job!” so we can admire it from afar.

One time when I was selling at an art fair, one of the other vendors was in a wheelchair and had a beautiful golden retriever with him (no cape or other visible ID). At one point he took a break to visit the other vendors and stopped by my booth to chat a bit. I commented on his lovely dog and asked whether the dog “had a job” or was just a pet. He laughed and said, “A little of both.” He didn’t seem to mind the question.

Thinking back now and especially after reading this thread, it occurs to me that some people might have considered my question intrusive – assuming that a dog with a person in a wheelchair might be a service dog. Then again, the man had approached me to chat; I hadn’t disrupted his activities to ask nosy questions about the dog. Also, the dog seemed to be “on a break” at the time – on a simple leash and not visibly performing any service (although I’m sure there are service tasks that are “invisible”), and the man seemed pretty relaxed and not asking anything of the dog. They were behaving like any owner and pet. And I didn’t ask about his disability or what sort of things the dog did for him – that would strike me as sooo not my business – just whether it was a service dog or a pet.

Elenfair, how did I do?

For anyone looking for books on service animals, I highly recommend First Lady of the Seeing Eye, by Morris Frank. It’s the story of Buddy, the first Seeing Eye dog in the United States, and how she and Mr. Frank worked to get guide dogs accepted in hotels, restaurants, public transportation, etc. Fascinating reading for anyone who admires service dogs.

Scarlett, I think you did just fine! :slight_smile:

Regarding service dogs being easily identifiable as service dogs… (just a side note, cuz your question made me think about it!)

The laws vary from state to state, and in some places, a service dog does NOT need to wear any identification whatsoever. Shopkeeps are allowed to ask if the animal is a service dog, and if so, the dog and its handler are to be allowed to go about their business. In Minnesota, the dogs have to be identified with a cape, or a harness, or ID from a certification agency or school.

Maybe it’s just the area I live in, but I’ve encountered quite a bit of outright hostility toward service animals. I sure don’t understand it.

Last semester, there was a girl in one of my labs who was training a service dog. The dog was equipped with a nice, bright vest stating that she was a service dog in training. Despite this, one of my lab partners remarked “What’s up with that bitch and her dog?” :rolleyes:

The summer before that, I was on vacation in Tennessee with my family, and had accompanied my mother to a crafts show. The aisles were rather narrow, so stopping to look at one table resulted in partially blocking the aisle. At one point, I realized I was blocking the path of a young girl, her mother, and a service dog; I excused myself and stepped out of their way. The mother stopped and thanked me profusely for being so polite. She had thought the craft fair would be a great place to get the dog and her handler (the young girl) used to large crowds, but she said that people had shown no consideration at all – bumping into the dog and then claiming it was the animal’s fault, etc. This dog was also wearing a little cape.

Jeep’s Phoenix - it amazes me, too. Thankfully here in Minnesota, people are nice (for the most part). There are times, though, when my poor dog gets trampled by people who don’t look at where they’re going.

Some of it is a cultural thing, too. I see that especially when bussing with Pirate. Some people notice him right away and try not to step on him (we always sit at the front of the bus, for gawd’s sake!). I have had a lady once put her huge baby cadillac stroler ON TOP OF THE PUPPY and his bright yellow cape (and he’s a red merle, not like he blends into the floor or anything!) and then got really upset when the dog barked once to let her know he was there!

OOOoh, busses, they can be the bane of my existance, sometimes, especially when people get on board with these huge-ass SUV strollers. there isn’t enough room for the stroller to go down the aisle without people watching their knees. Can you imagine if you have a German Shepherd as a guide dog and one of those wants to come on board, complete with Indignant Mother who argues it out with the bus driver and tells the dog’s handler to “just put him on your lap”? or “My child’s safety is more important.”?

Myeaaah. There are sooo many inconsiderate bastards out there. Thankfully, there are also some really nice people who will try to be helpful and considerate without putting the disabled person in the spotlight, as it were.