How to have fun with a shotgun?

I read somewhere that those loads will damage your shotgun, I’ll try and find something.

But dont quote me on that…

Two words - wood screws.

Dunno ‘bout Texas, but in the frozen wastelands of Canuckia, ``Every person commits an offense who, without lawful excuse, points a firearm at another person, whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded’’ (Subsections 81(1) and (2) of the Firearms act and part III of the Criminal Code) and you can get up to 5 years for it. So maybe not the best of ideas…

No, viking, you just need to spend a lot of time setting up your “lawful excuse”. That’s part of the fun!

Tony Montana, I’ve heard the same thing about the magnesium loads. No cite either, but my general impression is that they will rip your barrel up real good. Hell on vampires, though, so sometimes it’s worth it.

Not to mention it sounds downright dangerous. “damn I thought it was a paper load!!”

Possible future head-line: "man decapitated by shot-gun blast to the head by a friend who loaded 00 buckshot instead of paper load" (Or maybe he forgot to unload buckshot…)

ok loong headline but you get the point

This has got to me the stupidest and most irresponsible thing I’ve ever read on the SDMB.

First of all, it is never O.K. to hold and point a firearm at another person unless you also intend on destroying that person. Even if it’s “unloaded.”

Secondly, this assumes that firing an “empty” shell is not dangerous. Not so! The gases emitted from the barrel can do incredible bodily damage to a person within a distance of about 24 inches or so.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, that scores an 11 on a 10 scale of stupidity. If you want to shoot people in fun, get a paintball gun, NOT a 12 gauge.

Shotgun shells reloaded with paper is a Darwin Award nomination, IMAO.

Apparently not. And you can add me to the list of people who think this is a Monumentally Stupid Idea.

Couple of quick clarifications, please.

Gun to right shoulder (yes, I’m right-handed) and sight with the left eye? Wouldn’t that introduce a bad paralax problem. I’d automatically sight with my right eye.

Also, the former deputy, now gunshop employee, who sold me the gun was telling me that I get more strength if I keep my right elbow close to my body. This is because I automatically sighted the gun in the store with my right elbow up.

Finally, any good sources for accessories. I’m still looking for a locking wall rack for this thing.

Belrix:

1. I believe most right-handed people tuck the buttstock into their right shoulder and use their right eye for sighting.

2. For a right-handed shooter, the proper offhand position (according to Jeff Cooper) requires the right elbow to be at about chin-level (or even higher). Granted there are some accomplished shooters who tuck their elbow in, but it’s probably best for a beginner to first master the “proper and accepted” position and go from there.

Yup. I said left eye. That happens to be my master eye; yours may be different, but in my experience most often one’s master eye is opposite their “handedness.” Try the test in the URL to find out. Alternatively, you may wish to close neither eye. I’ve used this method effectively, too. At least for shotgunning. Here’s a bit more poop (in .pdf format) on trap shooting techniques; the article begins on page three.

Good link, UncleBeer.

BTW: I should mention that my comments were for rifle shooting (which is the only thing I know about). They may not be applicable to competitive shotgun shooting. I will humbly take a back seat to UncleBeer when it comes to shotgun shooting… ;j

In addition to being an amazingly stupid idea, this is the kind of thing that makes us all look bad and gets our rights infringed. :mad:

I haven’t tried it myself, but apparently someone around here thinks blasting rural highway signs is great fun. I think the sporting thing to do is shoot from a moving vehicle. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

I thought that was great fun to shoot signs out of the back of a pickup once too. Then I found out that the signs sometimes shoot back. Well, not really the signs but some crazy redneck that chased us at over 85 MPH and then quickly stopped, jumped out and fired off a few rounds at us. I never did that again.

Unfortunately I think all of the seasons are over, but if you find your self enjoying shooting consider going hunting next year. If that is something you think you’d enjoy start asking around and making friends and try to find someone who experienced at it to go with . Alternatly you could sign up for an outfitter hunting tour which usually provides some pretty good teaching, but fairly expensive. There is some damn good pheasant near Denver. But spend the time until then learning to shoot and getting comfortable with it.

mmmmmmm… Pheasant in red wine sauce.

Load up with silver 00 shot and go hunting werewolves.

Yet another Really Stupid Idea.

The initial question was “how to have fun with a shotgun?”

It wasn’t “how do I do something collossaly stupid with this here scatter gun.”

Belrix and wolfman: The absolutely best way to have fun is just as wolfman suggests - pheasant hunting. I am from central Kansas (Great Bend), and I can say without hesitation that upland game bird hunting is exciting, challenging, and results in some excellent eating. I guarantee that the first time a pheasant breaks cover in front of you, the adrenaline dump will leave you buzzing… maybe you’ll get a shot at the second one… All the gun-handling skills you learn will come into play during pheasant hunting. Just a short drive from where you are, Belrix, is some of the best pheasant country in the nation. Don’t forget to ask permission before hunting on private land. Also, make sure you get a license before you hunt pheasants in Kansas - they’re kinda peevish about illegal hunting.