How to Upload (Download?) Office 2000

Nope. If you drag the folder onto your hard drive, This would be the same as installing it using the Standard method.

There is also a little installer icon right next to it, which will allow you to then go through all the typical rigmarole of Custom, Minimal, and even Standard…

AFAIK, Steve Jobs has nothing to do with the MacBU over at Microsoft.

Eve:
The updgrade version means you need to have an earlier version of office already installed - e.g. Office 97.
The things you are talking about are very basic computer problems… don’t you have any friends or computer shop sales people you can talk to? I mean you have a huge amount of stuff to learn about computers.
I recommend you read books like “Windows XP for dummies” (assuming you have that version of windows) - that would get you introduced to how windows works in general. There is also “The beginner’s guide to…” series. You can probably get those kinds of books at your library. There are also introductory books to Office - but you’d need to understand how your version of Windows (Windows XP or Windows 2000 or Windows 98, etc) works first.

You need to return the disk to where you got it and exchange it. Did you buy it in a store? Online?

BTW, there are 2 versions of MS Office 2000, a 'home" version and a “professional” version.

Damn, hit the submit button too fast.

CookingWithGas is right. If you have a new version of MS Works, it should include MS Word.

MS Office contains additional business programs like Excel and Access.

You purchaded the upgrade version. This will only work if you have a previous version of MS Office installed on your computer (or if you have a legitimate full-version CD that you can pop in the drive for a few seconds during the upgrade install).

However, before you go out and spend yet more money, let me offer a suggestion, as one computer professional to one by-all-appearances novice end-user:

If you are not sure whether you need Office or Word (except that your friends–who are not paying for the software–have suggested it), and if all you want is something to write letters and print them off, then I would suggest you simply stick with the version of Works that came with your computer.

In my experience, many people buy Word or Office thinking they have to, when in fact a less expensive program would suit their needs just fine. You’ll find that Works will read Word files with relative ease, and Works has fewer bells and whistles, so there will be fewer buttons, menu options, and so forth to clutter your workspace.

The extra features you get with Word are geared towards power users, a group you do not appear to be a part of at the current time.

If money is a concern, you might also check out http://www.oppenoffice.org. OpenOffice is free and provides approximately 95% compatibility with MSOffice 2000 (and previous). For a novice user such as yourself, the compatibility rating would be very nearly 100% for all of your needs.

The above URL is incorrect, and the edit function seems to be disabled.

The correct URL is: http://www.openoffice.org

“I mean you have a huge amount of stuff to learn about computers.”

–Yeah, like that’s gonna happen . . .

" . . . if all you want is something to write letters and print them off . . ."

–Nope. I need to be able to write books and get some version off to my publisher, so I need something they will be able to read or convert or whatever . . . I don’t need anything in the way of artwork, but I do need something more than a letter-writing program.

Any suggestions, since to start at Square One and everyone I know says “Microsoft Works sucks?”

Eve, you didn’t say what version of Microsoft Works you had but if it is Works 2000 accoring to http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/homepages/StandardProduct.asp you can share documents with people who use Word. And if it is Works Suite 20003 it comes with Word 2000. What model Toshiba laptop do you have?

• Eve, enable your SDMB e-mail and then e-mail me yew wanker.
        ~

Eve, oh Eve!. Are you typing away? Have you resolved this?