How useful is a seeing eye dog?

Or the old joke about the blind man at Macy’s who was holding a dog by the tail and spinning it around over his head.

A horrified clerk asked what he was doing, and the blind man said, “Oh, just looking around.”

Of the two blind students I knew who had dogs, one of the dogs was a yellow lab – a really fantastic animal and a good relationship between dog and owner.

But the other one was this poor German shepherd that seemed to be mistreated. Apparently not intentionally, just out of ignorance. He was always scrawny and stank to high heaven. (The dog, although the owner was a bit scrawny himself.) Still did his job though, and the owner got defensive anytime someone complained about the smell.

I had a prof in college who had two service dogs, one older than the other. She said the older dog had kind of become a family pet over the years and the new dog was now the working dogs most days.

Well, they’re certainly not much help if you need to look at twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is.

A blind juror is a character in John Grisham’s Runaway Jury, IIRC. I’m personally very leery of having blind or deaf jurors - so much of a juror’s job is evaluating witness credibility, and being unable to see or hear the witness means you’re missing out on a lot. I suppose there could be cases where it’s not an issue, but those would be pretty rare in my experience.

So, the seeing eye dog went blind? :dubious:
:smiley:

I know, right? Well, not quite legally blind by human standards, I suspect, but was certainly visually impaired. So she got to retire to the life of a hanging-around-home pet. Note that you can get cataract surgery for dogs, but I suspect that since cataracts were a symptom of the dog’s progressing age, it was in both of their best interests to just let her retire.

Oh I wasn’t expressing doubt that people can and do train dogs to do this.

But still amazed at both trainer and dog when it’s done.

When I saw this post yesterday, I restrained myself from making the obvious but silly suggestion that the new guide dog could be a guide dog for the older blind dog.

But Lo! today, I stumbled upon this: Big blind dog and little seeing-eye dog are adorable BFFs!

That’s adorable! Who knows, maybe they did that at home. :slight_smile: I didn’t have the chance to work with this patient too often after “the changing of the guard” so perhaps the new dog did help the older one. I know it’d be tough for both of the dogs to be formally “on the job” at the same time due to space limitations, obviously.

I think the key is that all of the dog’s behavior is training. A dog doesn’t have an instinct to obey a command like “walk down the street” or an instinct to avoid walking down the street if there’s a ball on the sidewalk - they’re both learned behaviors. So you’d have to train the dog that avoiding an obstacle is a more important behavior than obeying a verbal command.