How well does Magic Jack work?

IIRC, Magic jackndoesnt have e911 either.

I’ve been using MagicJack for two years. It is a bit annoying loading at start-up (takes way longer than any other app), and you have to kill the process to stop it- there’s no way to simply exit. I’m also on crappy DSL and notice audio quality issues when multi-tasking, although it is fine if I’m not doing anything else bandwidth-intensive. I was also not able to get a local number, but the intent was for outbound long-distance anyway…If the connection freezes up (i.e. if I have to reboot DSL modem/wireless router, etc.), I have to often physically eject and replace MJ set in USB drive to restart it. Very occasionally I have to run the bug-fix/update (expected).

On the plus side- it is dirt cheap. If used alone, the sound quality is fine. I love that it takes VM and emails me a sound file of the message. I do take it traveling. If you don’t have a cellphone, it can be a life-saver if you can jump on public wifi somewhere to call someone (saved me lot of hassle at an airport after a mis-communication about being picked up). The address book, stored numbers, etc. are basic but very convenient and useful. It allowed me to shut off long-distance on the landline. And now that I just got a cell, I’m going to kill the landline and go cable internet, and MJ is coming with me. :slight_smile: I was pleasantly surprised at how much value I get from it for $20/yr.

Now that we’ve got that settled,

How well does Magic Dick work?

It also has popups.

Well played, Sir!

As an addition: “Voodoo dick my ass!”

Magic Jack is a sometimes thing. Keep your cell phone or landline.

RE: 911

MJ does have 911 service … of a sort. When you open the account you can give any name and address you like (Notice that you don’t have to choose a local number – if you live in Oregon and want a New York phone number, you can do that.) It will attempt to provide 911 service to that address but doesn’t guarantee it will work … and, of course, if you listed a Pennsylvania address but are using it to make and receive calls (Yes, your mother can call you as a local number anywhere you happen to go) in a hotel room in Chichicastenango, Guatemala, well …

There are some very definite conveniences to this thing if you think about it.

And BTW, you don’t have to travel with your own computer. You can plug it into any computer anywhere, internet cafe or library or such.

They have numbers in my area code, so it’ll be local, won’t it? As for keeping my cell phone, yes I’ve stated I intend to, and I do want to replace my landline. That’s the intent of using Magic Jack in the first place.

I don’t know if there’s a way to see what numbers are available until you actually plug the thing and set up an account. I live in a very small town in a rural area and was able to get a number that is a local call but the number is for an exchange for a town a little over 20 miles away … that works well for my privacy freak paranoia.

I found the Unofficial magicJack forum to be much more useful than the actual MJ site. Lots of info and tricks like using it without the USB dongle, disabling the pop-up, etc.

No, that’s fine if the number isn’t in my town, Tucson. As long as it’s in the 520 area code and not a long distance call for people in Tucson to call me.