How will the US conduct urban warfare in Baghdad?

[continued hijack; my apologies]

It sure is powerful; I’ve been there. There is also an exhibit with photos and such, as well as a sample 125 gram daily bread ration.

After seeing that, it blew my mind that we were NEVER taught in school that the Soviet Union even * participated* in WWII. But that’s a subject for a Pit rant I’ll get around to writing one of these days.

On that subject, it’ll sure be interesting to see how the Gulf War will be depicted in H.S. history books 20 years from now, if indeed it will show up at all.

Considering that NV technology has been available to civilians for well over ten years now for relatively affordable prices, I wouldn’t assume that the USA were the only ones with NV. It’s probably not available to all Iraqi soldiers, but I’m sure have it.

Anyway, who thinks the Iraqis will be waiting around in total darkness for American soldiers to sneak up and kill them? They may be behind us, but they do have fire, and even lightbulbs.

Bear in mind that we Brits have a lot of experience of fighting in built up areas - from Northern Ireland, and we’re pretty good at it.

We also have special forces who are very very good at getting into buildings effectively.

I have no idea how good the US forces are, but 40,000 Brits will be a useful weapon in any urban battle.

Having described the probable tactics and training of both sides, does there remain a General Question here?

Point to note: Despite being ambushed, deprived of necessary support (heavy armor left out of Somolia for political reasons, and having been rattled by having been shot down, the US soldiers in Mogadishu still killed ~ 300 Somalis in that fight. An exchange rate in the range of 15:1. This keeps getting forgotten…

And is graphic proof of how bloody street fighting can be.