How would a Palin presidency be worse/better than the Bush one?

“Palinesque”?

Evil and incompetent and corrupt vs. evil and competent and corrupt.

The corruption issue is what’s been ignored so far. Her life is a mission to acquire all the toys she never had while growing up relatively poor, so she’s completely warped in the things she does to acquire money and power, two things that Bush personally grew up surrounded by. His corruption was in allowing his cronies to continue skimming off the top in the thousand time-honored ways the weathy think is their due, while her corruption is more personal: she gets to rips off her contributors, the taxpayers, etc. but she’s also viciously aware that people will try to gain advantages that she feels are hers, personally, so she’s also particularly nasty in rooting out the corruption of others (and psychologically seeing it everywhere around here, due to projection of her behavior onto others). This personal corruption would drive the Palin presidency in a way the Bush presidency was never particularly driven.

I think a Palin administration would be much more hostile toward good environmental policies. We’ll kiss the EPA, alternate energy, and clean air and water goodbye. Why take care of the earth when the Rapture is coming soon?
You’ll see much more of an effort to turn this country into a theocracy.
She willl be even more incompetent at foreign relations
In short, I think Palin would be much more of a disaster than Bush

Why hasn’t Bush ever released his long-form pedigree papers?

She would quit because governing is hard. The president gets lots of criticisms, and she should not be expected to endure such treatment. Some would make fun of her family, which in her special case, would be out of bounds.
On the other hand, comedians would prosper. Her international goofs and basic ignorance would keep them in material . Of course, she would pass a law against it.

“Palinesque?”

Palin’s all about attention and money, not about working hard. She’s absolutely be a figurehead. It’d all depend on who her handlers were.

It would be better because it wouldn’t be Bush. It would be worse because it would be Palin.

Bolding mine. Recognizing that there comes a time when taxes must be raised.

Please produce a cite that Bush was graded based on his wealth and connections. Or admit that you made it up.

Regards,
Shodan

Would she preform any different than anybody else in her party?

One of her daughters gets pregnant by one of Obama’s cousins from Kenya. Said Palin daughter announces she’s going to marry the black non-American, convert to Islam and since the couple will be traveling around Kenya during her last trimester, she might not be in the United States when she goes into labor. I imagine Sarah’s head would explode.

I don’t think Palin would quit because of too much criticism. I’ve never known her to pay any attention to her critics before. They can be dismissed (as not real Americans) or attacked (“stop makin’ stuff up.”), but I’ve never seen her acknowlege that anyone who disagrees with her might have a valid point. Palin could suffer the slings and arrows of a thousand newspaper editorials, she could cut taxes and drive the deficit into the stratosphere, she could provoke a diplomatic incident with the whole eastern hemisphere, and I think she’d serve out her term(s) and leave office convinced that she’d been right every time.

She bleated about people criticizing her and her family when she became the “quitinator”. She also bitched about the cost of legal problems since she could not stay on the straight path. That was her big complaints. It had nothing to do with the money she could make .

sure

So, he is a basset hound!

Well, if he wasn’t a basset hound you would think he would just come out and deny it. And he has not. What else is he hiding?

Why is he refusing to produce the AKC papers?

Probably not. But the thread was about Palin, not Republicans (or Tea Party).

I would say that the biggest difference (besides the fact that liberal heads would be exploding on a continual basis, and the SDMB server would crash due to an overload of Palin threads) is that Bush was an insider. The structure of his administration (and really, that’s what being the President is) was composed of insiders. Palin would definitely not be an insider in any way. Basically even more of a loose cannon than Carter was because she hasn’t grown up with the system…hell, she didn’t even finish her term as Governor (and Alaska isn’t exactly close to DC or in tune really with much of the rest of the country).

For all the hate of Bush, he had experience, especially Washington experience, which is important to connect with what a modern presidents real job is…which is to bring in a competent staff and fit the mold of what a president is. Obama has done a decent job of this, despite not having as much DC experience as many other presidents, but I think it’s been a struggle for him as well. I expect he’ll do better in his second term.

Palin though would be a complete loose cannon…totally off the wall IMHO. She wouldn’t know the job, doesn’t have the connections for a coherent and cohesive administration, so would be bringing in people piecemeal based on the support she got just in the campaign and election, and they wouldn’t mesh well most likely…which would give her image an even more chaotic impression than Carter had.

I get the impression that a lot of people think the President is supposed to know all the answers to all the issues. I mean, that’s what we expect in a debate, right? They are supposed to be like Jeopardy game show players, able to reel off the correct answers when on the spot. The reality is that a President is all about picking a good staff, and a good administration and then being able to multi-task their minds, listen to their staffs and then make decisions about all manner of issues every day…and do that day after day. I have no idea why anyone would want the job, to be honest. It’s horrible, and it ages the people who take it beyond their years. Look at before and after pictures of Bush or Clinton (or just look how Obama has grayed since he took office)…that job is a killer, and no amount of private jets or limousine rides is worth it. No amount of money is worth it either IMHO.

IMHO, a Palin presidency would be MUCH worse than the Bush presidency ever was. Not because of what she’d do, necessarily, but because of the impression a presidency in chaos would be on the country, especially considering how the economy is right now. It’s a good thing that she has just about a zero percentage chance of even getting the Republican nomination, let alone unseating obama…

-XT

What was his Washington experience?

Same team as Bush, different quarterback. I think what we often forget is that we aren’t electing a king or even a quarterback. We are picking one of two teams to run the executive branch. The President may or may not be powerful within that group depending upon their personality, to political debts they owe and the strength of the other party members. In OPs scenario I think the party would do as it pleased behind the scenes and Palin would be even more of a figurehead than Bush. So, a continuation of Bush era policies for the most part. To those of us in the general public the explanations for those policies, which would come out of Palin’s mouth, would seem even more confused and disjoint that they did with Bush.