How would history have been different if New York was the capital of the USA?

I’m afraid I still disagree with that. Baltimore grew into a large city because it is an ocean-going port, and this led to the development of heavy industry. The area that is now the Washington metropolis has no natural advantages that could compete with that (as Neurotik pointed out, Georgetown’s importance as a transhipment port would have been killed by the railroads).

Cities that become large always do so for a reason. There are numerous delightful riverfront areas (without deep-water access) in the Mid-Atlantic states that didn’t become million-plus-inhabitant metropolises, and only one that did. Most sources of which I am aware attribute this to the decision to make it the Federal capital.

This is a common story, and I’ve heard it several times. Hard to say how much is true and how much is just folk history.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It may or may not become a hot commodity. There’s tons of riverfront property around here that is basically just home to large estates. Which is likely what the DC area would have become.

There would have been no city. Maybe a small town ala Frederick for most of its history, but that’s about it.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Think about it, John. In essence, we’re speculating about an early American where Alexander Hamilton’s vision for the new country’s future (urban, commercial and industrial, with “activist government” promoting all of these trends) trumped Thomas Jefferson’s (rural, agricultural and extractive, with “minimalist government” protecting the autonomy of small farmers and big slaveoholding plantation owners). IOW, a timeline where the U.S. became rich, powerful and formidable even sooner than it did in our timeline. Wouldn’t that be an improvement? After all, we know now, in hindsight, that Hamilton’s vision was right and Jefferson’s was wrong. Heck, this “activist government” might even have successfully promoted the early industrialization of the South – showing up the fundamental inefficiency of the slave-based agrarian system, leading to the “peculiar institution’s” gradual and peaceful abolition, and averting the Civil War.

I think that’s a complete pipe dream.

First, just because it’s a more Northern city doesn’t make it that much less susceptible to summer heat; especially when we’re talking about a large city. Fetid, fuming, filthy Philadelphia wasn’t any more amenable to the Congress than bucolic Washington- why would New York City be a summer paradise?

Second, you’re assuming that being involved with a major metropolitan area rather than a backwoods town would have A) enlighted conservative politicians, rather than simply re-affirming their beliefs that cities were horrible, horrible places and B) that said leaders would have effected a vast sea-change in perceptions amongst the populace in general. Hamilton’s theories on government were not ignored in the early 19th century simply because American politicians were rural and interested in the agrarian ideal; they were ignored because the overwhelming majority of Americans were rural and interested in agrarian ideals and elected politicians who shared their views. Cart here, horse there.
Having said that, I do think there would have been major ways in which the course of history would have changed, but I’m not quite sure in which direction- could have gone either way.

First, and most obviously, the American Civil War. I think Little Nemo may be right- if the capitol were obviously northern, anti-slavery moves by the government would have been much easier to interpret as Northern aggression against the South, possibly leading to an earlier Civil War. On the other hand, with the city of Washington, NY not being a place where open-market slave auctions were held, it’s quite possible that some of the smaller issues that led to fighting would not have come up in the first place.

Had the war occured at the normal time, I also think it’s likely Maryland would have seceded. Lincoln’s actions to keep Maryland in the Union- which were much of the unconstitutional actions he took- were much easier to accept and ignore when the alternative was having the Capitol stuck deep inside enemy territory. With Washington, NY firmly in Unionist territory, Lincoln may never have taken those actions, or may have deemed the larger outcry not worth it.

Losing Maryland to the South (and likely Delaware, given its slave-holding and the fact that with Maryland in the Confederacy it would be in far too precarious a position to stay Union easily- see West Virginia for the opposite example) would have given both sides an advantage, paradoxically enough. For the North, the fact that Washington NY was not in immediate danger, combined with the distance between the capitals, would have meant less belief that winning the war meant merely marching a few miles south and batting away the Rebs while capturing Richmond. With more terrain between the two, the North may have settled down for a long war much earlier, and been much more prepared for the war as it actually occurred.

On the other hand, the Confederacy would now no longer have a huge barrier between its lands and incurring into the Union. The Potomac River acted as a major impedement to the eventual attacks into Fredericksburg and Gettysburg; with all crossings being under Confederate control, and no major natural features seperating Pennsylvania and Maryland, Confederate raids into Philadelphia or Pittsburgh may have been more common, and brought much grief to the Union.
Second is the matter of demonstrations and activism. New York, given its size, was given to major uprisings such as the Draft Riots of 1863, and various union/anti-union violence. Washington’s distance seperated it from these events; if those events had occured right outside of the Capitol… perhaps the government would have taken more progressive measures faced with the obvious violence, or perhaps it would have cracked down three times as hard on unions and anti-war activists. Hard to say, but I lean towards the latter.
Third is Civil Rights. The Civil Rights movement paradoxically benefited from the fact that Washington DC was a segregated city- photo-ops of “Whites Only” with the Capitol in the background, or the general embarassment of being an international capital that still had segregated housing, made it easier to convince average Americans that segregation was a national blight rather than simply a Southern one. Move the Capitol to a state without segregation laws, and it might have been harder to convince the general populace that the South’s Jim Crow laws in any way mattered to the rest of the nation.

One could argue NYC’s importance in the world, but not it’s size. See here. It ranks 2nd in metro area population, and 12th in strict city limit population.

And now I must chastise myself for using “it’s” instead of “its”.

Isn’t anybody going to mention that NYC was the Capital in George Washington’s time?

The OP pretty much covered that:

[Or have I been whooshed?]

Nitpick: Philadelphia was not “amenable” as the capital, not because of its climate, but because in 1783 Congress (the Articles of Confederation Congress) was driven out of town by Continental Army soldiers rioting for back pay – and the governor of Pennsylvania didn’t send in the state militia to protect Congress. The Master speaks: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041210.html I think that’s why, when the delegates met in Philly in 1787 for the Constitutional Convention, they decided they would ultimately need a national capital under exclusive federal jurisdiction and control.

Nitpick: I’d always heard that by compromise, slavery was allowed in DC, but not the slave trade.

There was indeed a compromise, but it was part of the Compromise of 1850; the slave trade was not outlawed in the District of Columbia until September 20, 1850. Before 1850 there were slave auctions in D.C. Slavery itself was outlawed in D.C. in 1862.