How would the legalization of drugs affect drug testing in the workplace?

Punishing workers unfairly for what they do when they are off work - has its own punishment - disgruntled employees.

I think that to a lot of control freaks, the kind of people who are likely to try to become bosses in the first place, that’s a benefit, not a punishment.

In the lab where I worked in the tox department (processing drug test urines) there were/are cut-off points where, if the person has a trace amount in their system, it won’t be reported out as positive on a pre-employment or (I think) for-cause drug test. (They also seem to use the same guidelines on post-partum drug screens.) I’m pretty sure those must be state/federal guidelines of some sort, because we also did qualitative drug tests for rehab facilities and such, which would report any drug in a person’s system, no matter what the quantity.

So it would be hard to pop a positive just sitting around people who were smoking weed.

Not sure what this adds to the debate, but just thought I’d share.

Edit window expired, sorry. This is from the website of the company I work for:

Which means that even now, if the drug shows up in a person’s system on initial testing, they will confirm it by GC/MS, but if the amount of the confirmed drug is low enough it will not be reported out.

Just trying to provide some documentation.

Yes, but what I’m saying is that I could, theoretically, get a nasty buzz on the subway. (Enclosed area) Completely accidentally and, frankly, unwantedly.

There are many. When I bought a life insurance policy, my agent explained that his company had determined that nicotine, cocaine, and amphetamine use were likely to cost his company money, so they tested for those.

On another occasion, I was offered a job with a shelter that had a contract with the city. The contract with the city required random drug testing. I turned down the job, not because I would fail the test, but because I could not see why what I did off the clock was anyone’s business. The shelter remade their job offer, having recategorized my job title so I would not be covered by the testing requirement.

You think?

Too bad he didn’t give a cite to this supposed study. Only 1 of the 3 companies I worked for gave a pre-employment test, and if any of them did random sampling, I never heard of it as a manager.

Perhaps they counted limited testing for drivers or pilots, or something like that. That kind of testing would no doubt continue after legalization.

Ah, here is the link

So not only is Mr. Lockney full of shit, but the number is falling - and no doubt would fall still further after legalization.

That may be so, but all the numbers you cite are considerably above 50%, and I remind you of your statement:

I’d think it wouldn’t affect testing at all. Employee drug testing is the real reason middle class MJ use has plummeted to almost nothing.

Sarcasm? If not, cite?

That’s after legalization. Like I said, right now it is hard to protest tests for illegal substances. You’d have to factor in the social climate that allows legalization also.

Without a better cite, it is also hard to say how many people in companies get tested today. If they test the truck drivers and forklift operators, does it still count? When I worked for AT&T, I’m sure somebody in the place got tested. If they tried to test any of us in Bell Labs, though, there would be such a stink!

Employers will still have the right to test and fire those who break the rules of their company. People who do drugs, and that includes alcohol should not be in the work force of any company due to their impaired condition. Most insurance companies demand that companies keep those who use drugs off their payroll.

Sorry, but I believe that is the facts.

In Spain both alcohol (except for minors) and all illegal drugs if for personal consumption are legal. But it is also legal (and done) to penalize getting to work under the influence. In some sectors, many drugs are seen as “no big deal” - but in chemical factories I’ve seen the peons themselves corral one who liked his beer too much and tell him to cut it out. “You wanna play with your life, do it when you aren’t working with explosives and close to me” is a good translation of their opinions on the subject.

I can pretty much guarantee that nuclear power plant workers would continue to be drug tested. We’re required to be by regulation.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part026/index.html

Cripes, even if it was legalized, do you think it would go so far as to be legal to light up in a subway? Cigarettes are legal, and we’re careening full tilt to not being allowed to light them up in public places anymore (and in some cases, not even in private places like your own car!)

Disclosure: not a smoker and think very little of marijuana users

ROTFLMAAO. My entire company would not be working … our companies parties are all open bar functions, including the company end of summer picknic this past thursday. I think we are pretty successful for a bunch of stone cold alkies [according to you] as we have passed 1 billion $US in billing. I think pretty much every one of the some 200 or so people attending had at least one beer or wine cooler [or glass of wine, or that may have been someone doing a wine cooler out of a glass instead of swilling it out of the bottle.]

You do realize doing so-called drugs and drinking alcohol in your own, personal free time at home is a helluva lot different from doing them at/before work and it actually impairing your work, right?

Because you believe it doesn’t make it a fact. Most people who drink alcohol are in the work force of some company or another and it does not impair them, as they aren’t drinking at work.

Even airlines, who have good reasons for pilots and other personnel not to be impaired, don’t say they can’t ever drink.

Look, you can drink, smoke dope, pop pills all you want. That is your problem, but when it becomes other peoples’ problems which it always does then it needs to stop. Half the injury auto accidents involve drugs. Families are torn apart by drugs and people maim and kill themselves everyday with drugs, alcohol is included as a drug. The problem is it’s never a personal thing, it touches everyone in this country. Drug peddlers would be out of business if everyone stopped. Why are drugs taken? For cheap highs, because one can’t function without them, BS. There are many more ways to enjoy life and have fun, to find real joy, instead of chemical short-lived joy. Wake up and find out what is happening in this wonderful world of ours.

Cuss me all you want, I have seen what drugs do to people in the long run and it is horrible.