How would you feel about someone developing full ESP psi powers?

This is a key point.
Just because someone says “I can read your mind” doesn’t prove that they can.

:smack:How did I not SEE that??

Because the next thing they’ll tell you is, “I know you think I’m bullshitting, but it’s the truth.” And then you’ll be convinced.

Easy - demonstrate it to them.

“Last night you dreamed about climbing the rock cliff half a mile from your home. You were wearing a red helmet and your friend Danielle shouted your name. She had dyed her hair orange.”

IF that’s true, they’ll be convinced on the spot.

Of course you didn’t, you don’t have ESP.

The OP is not especially clear on the scope and directability of the thing. A person who could hear the thoughts of others based on, say, the strength of their intent, regardless of distance, would be pretty hard to kill.

I would want that poer in the wrong hands.

So should society seek to eliminate such a person?

No, there should just be licensing and training restrictions.

Kind of like a concealed carry permit?

Shouldn’t this be in Elections Forum?

I mean, we’re talkin’ about Trump, aren’t we? He says he knows everything!

Dammit…! I got here too late. I had my pitch-fork sharpened, my torch lit, and 50 feet of good rope for the noose.

And now we’re moving this over to Elections.

Aren’t we gonna lynch Anybody!? /s

That wasn’t my point. I was saying that someone recognized as a mind reader could lie about the contents of their opponents’ minds and frame people. They would be believed due to previous successes.

The same way I’d feel about someone able to instantly teleport themselves by wiggling their nose.

At some point, he needs to sleep. And who can survive assassination attempts forever?

Will be and* should be* are different.

Ah…so you are saying his spider-sense will tingle? Spiderman suffers unexpected attack pretty regularly despite having this exact ability.

It’s worth pointing out that even if such a person really can read other people’s minds, we mere mortals have no way to know this psychic is telling the truth.

Unless he gets some sort of super-filtering, it doesn’t seem like it would be very useful. The sniper 5 blocks away is going to get drowned out by the guy next to him lusting after the ass of the woman in front of him, while she’s intent on giving that sales woman a piece of her mind, and all of the other strong intents surrounding him. If he doesn’t hang out in the city, then just send a bunch of guys - he might be able to read minds, but if a dozen armed men raid his country home, it’s not going to do him much good to know that they’re intending to kill him. Use of stooges would also work, say you put poison or a bomb inside of a nice present, then get a friend who doesn’t know the present is trapped to give it to him. Someone with influence could get the guy arrested, then arrange for a murder in prison where reading minds won’t help him get out.

Isn’t this best discussed behind closed doors when Senator Cruz proposes the Mutant Registration Act (MRA)???