How would you react to a surprise gift of a new car?

Thanks for the car payment, babe!

I would be extremely disappointed if it had to be paid for out of our money. If it was from a rich relative it would be cool. If the car was bought with secret cash from one of his relatives he better gift me a used car and let us do something fun with the rest of the money. The problem if it was from my spouse would be that it would be a non gift item like a stove.

To me a car is transportation, not a status or style symbol, so if I need a car we get me a car. Since I only want a car that meets my driving needs for a good price I already always have what I want in a vehicle and will always have it as long as we can afford it. I usually get a 2 year old car and drive it for 9 years. If we couldn’t afford it then the surprise gift better not be paid for out of our family resources.

I sure as hell wouldn’t act like this spoiled bitch.

If it was someone buying me a car outright, as in, not saddling my household with car payments, I’d be thrilled. I don’t care about labels – does it run? Does it get good mileage? Yes? Then I’m happy. I don’t give a rat’s ass what other people think about what I drive.

Now if MrPanda went out and bought “me” a car with our money and didn’t talk to me about it, yeah, I’d be upset, as currently we can’t afford another car payment.

Well, economics aside, my first thought would be: What on earth did she do – that I don’t know about – that meant she felt compelled to buy me a car?! :eek:

I mean… cooking a fancy meal would make me think she’s softening me up for another Tupperware party or somesuch… but a new car? She must have invaded Poland while I was work. :smiley:

I’d think “Sweet! We must have won the lottery!”

I’m a bit of an anti-car zealot, so I’d be rather shocked if my SO bought me one.

Fake.

My reaction would be “Sweet! Free car!” assuming the person who bought it isn’t someone I share expenses with. I don’t foresee a random person buying me a car any time soon, but a gal can dream.

I’d be happy is somebody bought me a new car. I’m reasonably easy to please so I don’t think I’d have any issue with the make or model. But in my case, it would be an outright gift.

I would question the traditional version of this you see on TV where one spouse is buying a car for the other. That strikes me as wrong. The money being spent should belong to the couple jointly. So when “he” buy a new car for “her” (genders as applicable) then what really happened was he spent their money on a new car which he picked out by himself. And in most couples, a new car is a big enough expense that it should be a joint decision.

As a teenager with no car, I probably would have thought it was cool.

As an adult with a perfectly fine car, I’d think it was an asinine gift.

Given my current living situation, I’d be annoyed. To me a car is all about parking tickets and insurance payments, neither of which I am burdened with now. And I hate driving in this city.

I suppose there are marriages where one spouse who has control over all the cash could do something like this without the other getting pissed off.

It is certainly not mine. If my husband had access to that much cash, we should both decide how to spend it. (First up, get a housecleaner. Second up, renovate the main bath.)

Right.

We bought a 2012 Mustang this summer - it took us about two years of planning and test-driving and figuring out to get to buying it, and it will probably be the last new car we ever buy. I don’t think either of us have any interest in a surprise car.

What a bunch of ingrates! Not the right model, not the right color, it’s not a hybrid.

It’s a Brand New Car and it’s Yours! The proper reaction is Woo Hoo! I’m buying lunch lets go! Thanks!

If if means that much to you, I’ll buy you a new car. Just give me your credit card number.

As others have pointed out, the gesture loses a lot of its beauty when it’s your money that was used to pay for the gift.

Well, I’d assume that he paid cash for it rather than financing it if it was a gift, and I trust his financial sense better than my own, so I would assume he got the money from somewhere we could afford to take it from. Also, my husband knows that 3 of the last 5 cars I’ve owned were Toyota Camrys (including my current car), and one of the others was a different Toyota, so he’d probably get me another Camry, which is probably what I would pick out for myself. So all in all I’d be happy with the gift.

If it meant car payments, or if it came out of our joint account as it currently stands, I’d start getting really worried about our finances. I don’t think I’d get mad but I’d not be happy.

All of that said, my husband knows me pretty well, and if he was going to buy me a car, he’d probably buy a Camry that was newish-used and get a good deal on it, and he’d only spend what we could afford, so I’d be happy.

That doesn’t qualify as a gift.

I don’t need a new car, the one I have is only a few years old and still in excellent condition, so I’d mostly be baffled. Even if I did, unless it was no-strings attached, I wouldn’t be all that happy. Now, of course, presumably a spouse wouldn’t spend that kind of money without consulting, so I’d like to think that it was something that was discussed at some point ahead of time and the gift is sort of that the new car was bought now, and at some personal sacrifice like a little overtime or sidework to make it happen, otherwise it’s just money that either wouldn’t have been spent at all or would have been spent anyway, and its kind of pointless.

First, I’d bust out crying.

THEN I’d start screaming at Hubster, “Jesus Christ, how are we gonna pay for this thing?”

If he had his shit-eating grin in place, and said something like, “Oh, don’t worry, it’s all worked out!” I’d probably kill him.

No, really, I’d kill him.

He’s bought expensive things (but nothing on the magnitude of new car!) in the past, and his assurances that everything is “all worked out” means I get to open a statement about a month from now and have a major heart attack.

There’s a LOT more to the conversation, but I’ll spare you. And since he’s been guilty of this in the past, if he was audacious enough to pull the same stunt with a freakin’ CAR, I’d have to kill him.

~VOW

I showed this video to my wife Audi S4 Christmas Surprise - YouTube

This one is S4 so my Audi A6 specs are saved from online Audi tool and the file is saved on the desktop. Just in case…