How's Philadelphia/Camden at the moment in terms of crime? Planning a trip there soon

Even if it’s Philadelphia associated like an Eagles hat?

Also curious about what that means.

In 2010 I spent several days canvassing in Philadelphia for a political campaign. The Phillies were good at that time and I noticed a TON of Phillies flags, Phillies bumper stickers, Phillies sweatshirts. I was not from Philadelphia, nor from PA for that matter, and after my first assignment I headed off to a sporting goods store and bought myself a Phillies shirt (Doctober No-No to be exact, in commemoration of Roy Halladay’s no-hitter earlier in the playoffs).

One of the smarter things I’ve ever done, politically speaking. Gave me bona fides and made for a very nice segue into the real reason I was there after exchanging a few pleasantries regarding the Phils. The shirt finally fell apart last year, more’s the pity.

Phila sport teams are fine. I would avoid the cowboys, Mets, nj devils… that sort of thing.

I worked in Kensington at two different nonprofits and yes, it’s dangerous, but it’s easy to forget that. I drove there every day for two years and walked down the streets and never was so much as harassed. For people who lived there it was a different story, especially in the summer. Tragically a few years after I left, the body of one of our teen leaders was found in a nearby dumpster. But it is a pretty bleak place. We used to have to pick up needles in the park where the kids played. So yeah, you might want to give that area a pass.

I used to live near Camden but I didn’t visit anything but the amazing Aquarium. It’s the best Aquarium I’ve been to. I brought guests there all the time.

I adore Philadelphia. It’s got such history and character. Have fun!

My God are they vicious to their own teams, though. And then there was that time they turned on Bill Burr. Engage angry crowds at your own risk.

Bill Burr turned on them. I used to listen to Opie and Anthony back then. They put a pretty great comedy tour together. The show they did at the Camden Tweeter Center turned into a drunken mess pretty quick. Some of the comics did well. Some were brutalized by the crowd. Dom Irrera was on before Burr. He’s an old school Philly comedy legend who is well respected by other comics. The crowd booed him off the stage. Burr came on next and never tried to do his act. He just verbally assaulted them for 11 minutes.

The best part was he continuously counted down how much time was left in his set:

“What brilliant shit are you gonna tell me? Go back to the dock and unload some shit you fucking warehouse working weed smoking fucking disappointment for your mother. Seven minutes left!”