Humor That Doesn't Translate

Pity the poor translators of Asterix and Obelix!

These comics are laden with verbal and visual puns from cover to cover. AND, they are translated into several dozen other languages. The translators often have to invent new puns. If they can’t do that, sometimes they just omit the puns, but they have to invent some new dialog to stick in place of the puns they omitted.

In some cases, the Gascinny and Uderzo devote an entire page, or several, to elaborately setting up a pun (see: first three pages of Asterix in Switzerland, e.g.). Sometimes, the translators simply have to abandon an entire page (or more) of original dialog and write all-new text, if they can’t translate or re-invent the pun.

Here’s an example I heard some years ago, given by a person of Japanese ancestry specifically to illustrate the differences in humor perception: I’ll try to tell it, abbreviated to the bare essentials:

A traveler [in Japan] comes to a bridge. There, the toll collector tells him: That will be 10000 yen to cross the bridge.

Traveler: But I only have 5000 yen.

Toll collector: Then you can go half-way across the bridge.

Traver agrees, and hands over the 5000 yen, and sets out across the bridge. When he reaches the half-way point . . .

[spoiler] . . . he stops and commits hara-kiri.

[spoiler](Whereupon the Japanese audience rolls on the floor in laughter.)

But an American audience, in contrast, just sits there all like :confused:[/spoiler][/spoiler]

So, care to fill in the joke for Americans?

Excellent post. This reflects a lot of my own ponderings on the topic over the years.

I once asked a philosophy professor if there was much in the way of philosophy of humor. He said the only thing he could think of was a small, out of print book by Henri Bergson. 6 months to a year later, a copy of it turns up unexpectedly in my mail. He was a greater teacher.