Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1

I gave it a D for being overrated. Ever been on Tumblr when it came out? No? Because it was annoying as hell.

ESPECIALLY, when every little tumblr mockingjay drone fell in love with JLaw’s stupid singing. Honestly, she sucks, okay?

During the attack Coin figured out that they had no real idea where the habitats for 13 were, they were bombing mostly blindly and using the defense systems to help them target. They would need a lot more weapons to kill the bunker and they’ve got problems at home to deal with as well.

Mockingjay was definitely the weakest of the books but they’ve again managed to make the movie better than the book. I’d give it a solid B and I’m looking forward to part II.

How? The whole system seems very fragile they may not be able to spend the ordinance to just keep bombing underground bunkers.

They literally resorted to bombing one area with flowers! :slight_smile:

I guess it’s the oscillation between post-modern and somewhat backwards technology that’s always been my problem with all 3 Hunger Games movies (I haven’t read the books). Panem can design and implement a virtual reality game world that is beyond what we can even comprehend today, but they don’t even have uninterruptible power supply for their Capitol. There are many examples of this.

I’d give it a C, thoroughly average. It has some decent scenes, and I was never totally bored, but never really enthralled either. The fact that it’s clearly just setup for Part 2 both helps and hurts it, I think.

13 has nukes. Or had. The Capital isn’t sure anymore so they called a truce just in case.

I almost skipped seeing this movie even though I enjoyed the first two because I didn’t much care for Mockingjay as a book, but I also thought the movie improved on the book. I didn’t notice any significant changes to the story, but I felt that some of the material (like shooting the propaganda videos) worked better onscreen than in the book. As others have mentioned, the movie also allowed us to see the growing rebellion in the other districts rather than just hearing about it while Katniss is stuck underground in District 13.

No spoilers, but knowing what happens in the rest of the book I also felt that Mockingjay Part 1 had the proper amount of foreshadowing for things to come. It seemed like they gave enough information that what happens later won’t seem totally out of left field, but not enough to give the plot away.

It isn’t a virtual reality game world. The arenas where the Hunger Games take place are real, physical places. It’s mentioned in the books that these become tourist attractions after the annual Games are over. There is science fiction technology involved in creating and controlling the arena, but IIRC everything the players encounter in the arena is physically present and not “virtual”.

Yep, although it was an odd choice for them in the first movie to have the beasts digitally materialize out of the ground. Weird they would do that when in the book they were genetically created beasts that were even some how cross-bred with the dead tributes and took on their features.

I’d actually say it’s a lot less weird to have wolf-creatures just materialize mysteriously in the arena than it would have been to go with the bizarre, disturbing, and IMHO rather half-baked explanation in the book.

+1

MoonWife loved it and also read the books. I enjoyed the first two movies, but the action element that was primary in the first two was practically non-existent. Julianne Moore is one of my fave actresses and she was a complete wast in this.

I agree with the critics that thought breaking up the Mockinjay book into two movies was pure moneygrab.

I don’t care if it was a money grab or not, what do you care? Just don’t go. Simple solution. To me, they were right to do it and I’m glad they did it. It opened up the world and let us see things that were barely a passing thought inside Katniss’s head, or not thought at all. For me personally, since I hated the ending of the Mockingjay book with the passion of a thousand suns, Mockingjay Part 1 allowed me to enjoy the bulk of the book I did like. I had said I wouldn’t see the 4th movie but I probably will. I like Jennifer Lawrence enough to see it. Still, even if I hate it as much as the part of the book it covers, at least there will be 3 movies I will love completely, rather than only two. I’ll almost certainly see it as a marathon again and will look forward to the first three.