I am a moron.

I think the objective was to rub his face in it now. :wink:

I don’t think I trust myself to hug any more men just yet. :wink:

Hey, at least you were on a date – I blindsided the poor guy! :smiley:

Well, I thought of it as a date, but I may have been flattering myself. :smack:

Ah well. I met a cute and quite compatible young lady at the weekend who said she “really liked me” on the strength of about an hour’s acquaintance, and it was a real shame to be forced to back her off by mentioning being married with a couple of kids. Where was she when I needed her?

Yet another one of those songs that most people who like it have never listened to the lyrics - but I love the lyrics!
“No, I don’t regret anything I did, only the opportunities that I did not take” - Edith Piaf, Je ne regrette rien

So it was a silly moment and not an “gee, wonder how he kisses” moment. He may still have been non-responsive more out of total surprise than anything bad :wink:

You’re not a moron. A moron would have said “D…d…do… you want me to… err…would it be OK if I… err …ki…ki… um… nothing”

Misnomer, you’re not a moron at all. As others have said “Nothing ventured, nothing gained”- and he may have been wanting you to make the first move! You’d never have found out if you hadn’t gone there.

Besides, you never know… he may come around in the future! :smiley:

Of course, my story about telling a close female friend how I felt about her ended spectacularly badly. The details are long and would hijack the thread, but suffice it to say she skipped the country as a result. :eek:

It still hurts me now, 3 years later. :frowning:

Kudos to you for trying, Misnomer. Once the embarassment wears off, you’ll be glad you did it anyway.

I have a long-winded story, similar to yours. Like you, I hadn’t kissed anyone for a while (not a year, but something like 5 months).

Anyway, I had a female friend, “Melanie”, over one night. Just a few days before that, we were both complaining about not having dates for Valentine’s Day and being alone that day. She had also recently gotten a tounge ring, and I was curious as to what it was like to kiss a woman with a tounge ring. At one point in the night, we were bored, watching TV, and she said, “we should do something spontaneous and stupid.” Obviously, she was talking about setting off fireworks or whatever, but that’s not where my mind went.

Anyway, I just kinda went for it, cold, right there. The kiss lasted a few seconds. At first, I thought it was gonna be cool, but then she just kinda recoiled and looked at me awkwardly. It was time for us to go to a party, so I said to her on our way out, “I wasn’t sure if that was gonna be awkward or not, but i’ll be sure not to do that again.”

As a bit of irony, I had the Rolling Stones Hot Rocks CD in my car, and You Can’t Always Get What You Want played on the short ride to the party.

She was the first woman I had ever initiated a kiss with. There had been 3 women prior to that, all who had taken the first action. So right after that debacle, I was depressed and thought maybe I should never initiate a kiss with a woman ever again.

However, I learned to do things a lot differently, and the next time was a success story of epic proportions, by comparison.

A friend and I were randomly high fiving people at a bar (yeah, I know, it sounds dumb, but it’s a lot of fun). Two women saw what we were doing and kinda got into it, so we started talking to them. Eventually, they told us they were going to finish off the night at a dancing bar across the street. I led one woman, “Julia”, by the hand across the street to the dancing bar. The four of us danced until closing. After that, we all decided to go sledding. Julia and I went down the hill several times in this plastic, round sled with horrible steering several times. On one trip down, we hit a bump and both kinda spilled into the snow. After groaning ang laughing about it for a bit, when we were both about to get up, I looked at her and said “come here a minute” in a semi-authoritative voice. She eagerly came toward me and we kissed for a while. Eventually, I was the one who had to stop her, since the other two were waiting back for us again at the top of the hill.

Anyway, these two contrasting stories (especially the first one) taught me a few things. It makes things easier to make the other person comfortable first, through hand holding or dancing or some kind of physical contact, before kissing them. Also, it’s less invasive, psychologically, to move the other person into your space to kiss them than it is to lunge into theirs. Since then, I’ve also learned a few tricks about whether it’s time to kiss someone. If you’re holding hands and you squeeze theirs and they eagerly squeeze back, that’s likely a sign of interest. Also, if you casually grab a strand of their hair and kinda play with it, their eyes will light up if they’re interested. If they’re not, they might give you a weird look but it’s no big deal.

If I were you, Misnomer, I would stop apologizing to your friend for several reasons. First, it’s exactly what you wanted. Second, what you did made logical sense, since both of you are single heterosexuals (even though logic and attraction can sometimes practically be polar opposites). I stood behind my decision to kiss Melanie and never apologized or made a big deal out of it to her, and she never did to me either. To this day (a year and 4 months later), her and I still hang out regularly.

You’re playing poker with another guy? I feel so used.

And save your regrets for things that you didn’t do.

That’s NOTHING!

I had a girlbuddy about 20 years ago. We were awesome drinking partners because neither of us found the other particularly attractive even with beer goggles on. One evening we were both bitching about our respective dry spells, playing pool and getting pretty drunk. I walked with her to her place (I lived just a bit further down the road) and…it’s really hard to say how this happened…but I found myself leeched onto her neck and her paws had found their way to various of my parts. For about 2 seconds. And then we both recoiled in horror and just stared at each other. Never happened again and it was never mentioned again.

You’re not a moron. Congratulations for not being scared or “playing it safe.” Like others have mentioned, if your friendship isn’t recoverable (after a little bit of a cooling off period), it wasn’t as strong a friendship as it felt.

Seriously… Bravo.

Maybe I could hook up with nomer… I don’t play poker :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly. :slight_smile:

Yeah, remember the “1 or 2 iffy reasons to think he wanted me to?” It was all that stuff. We’d been dancing, and walking with arms 'round each other, and sharing deep personal stuff with much hugging, and at the end there was a big hug with mutual cheek-kissing. Still, not once did I think about actually kissing him – 'cause if I’d thought about it at all, I wouldn’t have done it! :smiley:

Hey, I’ve only apologized twice. :stuck_out_tongue: Once in person right after it happened, and then again more “formally” in the e-mail I sent him. I might feel compelled to say one more quick “sorry” the next time I see him in person (and might even tell him about this thread), but other than that I’m not a schoolgirl … I can survive one misjudged, unreturned kiss. If you need me, I’ll be over here reviewing these vows of celibacy…

Aww, don’t be like that … you know I’m really thinking of you whenever he cracks my aces… :wink:

No matter how many times I say so, I don’t think that most of you get that I was as surprised by the kiss as he was. It wasn’t planned, I don’t have any big feelings for him, I wasn’t brave or bold, etc. So thanks for the words of support, but really – I was just a moron. :smiley:

LOL!