I am looking to buy a new toilet. Anything I should know? (gotchas...that sort of thing)

I have two “taller” toilets. One of them is okay. The other is too damn tall. My feet don’t sit flat on the floor. I really dislike it. I have a little stool in the room, but i don’t want to fuss with it every time I pee.

Yeah, sit on the display.

Otherwise, that toilet is great. 1.28 gallons, hasn’t clogged since we got it, bowl stays pretty clean. It’s the toto drake with vornado action, i think.

The older 1.6 gallon toto drake upstairs needs a little more cleaning, but had never given any trouble since the day or was installed. Nice toilet. I very rarely need to give it a second flush. Might have plunged it once, might not have. Quiet. Comfortable.

The new kohler works great, but it’s SO lots when i flush it. I’m always afraid it’s going to jump up and bite me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“Fogey-izing the house” as my late grandmother called it.

The best toilet I ever had was something akin to this one:

No tank, no condensation drips, east to clean, and it never clogged. Whenever I buy a house I’m going to install one of those, “commercial” appearance be damned.

Nope.

Way too easy.

I’ve wondered if the words come from the same source, somehow.

Our Toto is the Entrada, which is very compact in size. It’s “close coupled.”

It’s in a long narrow bathroom, so the compact measurements mattered. We might have gotten a prettier one-piece or something, but the extra space was more valuable.

No shelf for the kleenex.

Tanks can have a foam lining installed if condensation is a problem, but you can’t do that with the metal pipe and not make it look like a boiler room.

I’m curious why. Did it just not get dirty as much? With a tank you can use bleach tablets.

Did it sound like a jet airplane?

Not easy if you don’t have the piping for it. Commercial toilets require 1" supply pipes at a minimum, which may be bigger than the supply main to your whole house. Pity anyone taking a shower at the same time.

A pressure-assist toilet is what you’d probably want. They still have a tank, but there’s a plastic tank-within-a-tank that uses the water supply to pressurize a cushion of air at the top of the tank. So when you flush, the compressed air forces the water out much faster, like in the commercial toilet. You see these in detached restaurants and smaller commercial establishments that wouldn’t have the larger water system of an office building or mall, because they only need the standard 1/2" supply. There are even some with concealed tanks that can be buried in the wall.

Many (most?) manufacturers say you void the warranty if you use tank cleaners. I think I saw one toilet with a built-in tank cleaning system you could use but I forget which one. Definitely not common.

Apparently the cleaners wreck the plastic and rubber in the toilet.

One of the things that really impressed me when I was in Japan were the toilets. Ever thought about buying a Japanese model? Some even seem to have remote controls (imagine the fun of using those while someone else is using the thing).

Meh, I’ve been using bleach tablets in the same toilet for nearly 20 years, and while I do need to replace the flapper gasket every couple of years, it’s a $3 part that takes about two minutes to replace. It’s worth not having to scrub the bowl for months at a time.

American Standard makes one. Someone else does too - I saw a magazine ad for a toilet with a cylinder shaped cleaner in a recent issue.

Of course if you buy that toilet, you’re locked into buying replacement cleaners from the same company, as opposed to buying whatever toilet cleaner is on sale.

My son got one and I liked it so well, I got one. Then my son’s broke after a few years and he replaced with a regular flush. A couple years later, mine broke and I did likewise. Unless they have become more reliable in the last five years, I cannot recommend them.

Currently, we have Totos and, for an ordinary flush toilet, they seem to work very well. I have succeeded in clogging it only once in a year and a half. It has a #1 and a #2 flush of 3.4 l and 6.0 l, resp.

It used to be popular to outfit a toilet with a little rug in front, with matching covers for the seat lid and the tank. The tank cover kept the tank from sweating, but the lid cover caused the seat to fall down when a man was peeing while standing.

There was also a brief popularity for a crocheted cover for the spare toilet paper roll, made to look like a doll in a hoop skirt.

I can’t recall having problems with the toilet sweating. Am I just blind?

This time was called the 70’s. My 85 yo aunt still has these things. :roll_eyes:

In hot, humid weather, or when somebody’s taken a hot shower without turning on the fan, the cold water in a freshly flushed toilet will sometimes cause condensation on the tank. Air conditioning has removed the problem for most folks.

I once saw a tank lid with a planter built into it. It had wicks drooping into the tank, so it was self-watering. I thought it strange, because most bathrooms are dark when nobody’s in there.

I can think of very few homes I’ve visited which have bathrooms without an exterior window. Offhand I can only think of one. Is that not the case where you live?

Exactly. The house I grew up in north of Chicago had a mixing valve to feed some hot water into the toilets to counteract that, but after air conditioning was installed they were shut off. Condensation can still be a problem on those first few warm humid days in the spring when the tap water is still extra cold from the winter, especially in an already damp basement bathroom. Low-flow toilets are less likely to have problems because they may only pull the water that’s been sitting in the pipes inside the house and is already semi-warm. Of course it all depends how far your bathroom is from the main, if the pipes are insulated, and if you flushed another toilet upstream or used the sink or shower, etc.

Ah. So I have AC, and a low-flow toilet, and the one I usually use is at the other end of the house from the water main, so it probably fills entirely from water that’s already warmed to room temp in the pipes. Thus, no condensation problems.

The basement toilet might be a different story, but it’s rarely used, so also not a problem.

My bathroom faces north, and the window isn’t huge. I suppose you could grow pachysandra there, but most plants would want more sun.