I can't whistle

I used to be in the same boat until I was an adult and saw a slow motion video of someone snapping and saw the shock wave on the ‘meaty part’ of the palm that extends down from the thumb coinciding with the sound… I never realized that the sound is created by the finger hitting the palm of the hand and not some interaction between the fingers like a knuckle crack or the finger sliding off of the thumb… does the above make any sense? Once I figured out where the sound was coming from, it was damnned easy.

Does that help?

Thank you so much for finger whistle instructions. No one has ever mentioned the tongue before. I can’t do it well yet, but I’ve done a lot better than any other time I’ve tried.

Also, I’ll point out there is another type of whistle that can be used to make a tune, and it somehow involves the teeth. I think it’s the same as your type two without the fingers, just made quieter. I know several people who can do it, but I can’t.

I still can’t whistle but I’m still trying. After a couple of days of practice, I’ve come to a few conclusions:

1. The sucking method does not work for me. The only sound to come from that is like that of a fish gulping for water when pulled out into the air

2. I’ve more success by varying my lips against my teeth than my tongue against it, but I got a few near-hits and will be trying both methods

3. I can’t snap my fingers either! :frowning:

4. Continuously trying to whistle makes me light-headed…

5. Fingers in the mouth only results in wet fingers

Sounds to me like you’re sucking too hard. The speed of the inhale shouldn’t be enough to make much of any noise if the lips and tongue are in the wrong position. Unless your lips are way too closed.

Try forming a circle with your lips a bit smaller than a pencil then slowly steadily inhale while moving your tongue around slowly starting with it kind of pointing towards the opening. Maybe even start with the tongue touching or almost touching the opening and slowly pull it back as you inhale or exhale.

And your lips need to be moist but not wet. In the winter I can only manage to whistle for a few moments before having to lick my lips again. It might also help to pinch your nose shut while trying.

Hmmm. I find it interesting that I can stay on key (or at least as on key as I am to begin with) while switching between exhaling and inhaling. I have to do it on a note change because there’s a slight break while I change directions, but you can more or less whistle a continuous melody this way.

Now I wonder - would it be possible to whistle using the circular breathing techniques woodwind players learn? If so - Kenny G holds the Guinness World Book record for longest note ever played on a saxophone - he held an e-flat for 45 minutes, 47 seconds. What’s the record for the longest whistled note?

To Yog – try going lighter, like so many have said previous. Much, much less breath than you need to blow a gum bubble.

Also, try thinking of it this way – you’re lightly blowing a stream of focused air over the top edge of your bottom teeth. The pucker lips shape and tongue movement are just there to guide and adjust flow. All airflow shearing against incisors… but light. Volume comes much more with breath support than more air coming out, but that’s for later.

I don’t know if I’m explaining right, but that’s what works for me. I can’t call dogs or cabs, and I’ll never be a symphony-level whistler, but people recognize the tunes I whistle.

o/Anyone can whistle, That's what they say- Easy. Anyone can whistle Any old day- Easy. It's all so simple: Relax, let go, let fly. So someone tell me why Can't I? o/

I used to be able to whistle, not too well, when I was a kid. Over the decades, my teeth have shifted quite a bit and now I can’t whistle a bit.

Some people simply can’t do it. The wife can’t at all. I can but not the fingers-in-the-mouth method. Just doesn’t work.

I’m getting better! I can occasionally get a clean note…but not on demand.
Most of the time it’s too airy - like a wind noise with minor whistle undertone.

So…it does seem like it’s a learn-able skill.

I’ll let you know when I’m ready to move on to dancing. Don’t hold your breath. :slight_smile:

Oh…and thanks, YogSosoth, for inspiring me to try.

-D/a

Yes, it is possible. That is how professional classical whistlers do it. I’d link the the website I found it on, but it was a long time ago, and I can’t find it in a quick Google search. And it never mentioned a record for longest note, just that it could theoretically last forever.