I didn't know you cook that / eat that raw!

Mmm. Raw peas are delicious! Even when I cook them, I only blanch them to heat them through. If they become that disgusting dark green color, they’re over cooked.

I saw an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown makes a warm melon salad. Cooked the melon pieces in a big wok over a grill or something, with some red onions and spices.

Damn it looked good.

hmmmm i have some cantaloupe in the fridge…now, if only I had red onion, cheese and spices :slight_smile:

Grilled fruit is good.

And I like raw peas too.

I was told that you could eat potatoes raw. Ermm, ick. Supposedly, it’s good but I can’t bring myself to try it.

Yeah, my hubby is really offended when I do that. But if I’m slicing a potato, I’ll always pop a few salted pieces in my mouth.

I’ve also found that I like salt on my watermelon and cantaloupe, which he cringes at.

One of my favorite summer foods is a cold beet soup, made with canned beats, sour cream, milk, onion, cucumber and dill. Ugly as hell, but super yummy. Hubby thinks beets should be eaten hot or pickled. He has no idea.

Wow. How do you get the Hungarian into the Kohlrabi?

:::d&r:::

In Japan there is chicken sushi. It is ghastly. There is also basashi. That is raw horse. That is not bad.

Mother used to give me a piece of salted raw potato when I harassed her before dinner was ready. A friend of mine mentioned it, too and now you Dopers…
Did Mother cook for you all?!

Me: *“Mom, the Johnson’s next door eat raw potato with salt!”
*Mom: “That’s disgusting. They’re lucky they haven’t died from raw potato poisoning. You should never feed a child raw potato.”
Me: “I thought so too!”

::high-fives mom::

As promised, a recipe for stuffed kohlrabi:

8 kohlrabi, about the size of a baseball.
2 bunches of parsley
2 bunches dill
1 pound ground pork
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
4-5 kohlrabi leaves (optional)
1/2 cup hot chicken/vegetable stock
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup hot milk
salt & pepper to taste

Peel kohlrabi. Bring pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add kohlrabi and cook until tender. (Poke with a fork to test). Drain. Scoop out centers with a melon baller or spoon or whatever you have handy.

Prepare stuffing: Mix pork, egg, breadcrumbs, 1/2 the parsley and 1/2 the dill together. Season with some salt & pepper. Stuff this into the kohlrabi. Butter a lidded casserole dish (or whatever) and arrange kohrabi in it. If you have leftover pork, make some meatballs and stick 'em in the dish. Take the kohlrabi you’ve scooped out and dice it finely. If you’re using the kohlrabi leaves, blanche them, and finely chop into strips. Scatter the diced kohlrabi and leaves over the stuffed kohlrabi (and meatballs). Add stock to dish, cover, and cook in a slow oven (325 F or so) until pork is cooked through.

Make a white roux with the butter and flour in a skillet. Add the milk. (You’ll recognize this as pretty much a very thick version of bechamel). Once thickened, add this milk-roux mixture to the cooking liquid in your kohlrabi casserole dish. Garnish with parsley and dill.

Young kohlrabi is recommended for this dish.

I also do a version of this that’s simply pork meatballs and cooked kohlrabi in bechamel with dill & parsley. In other words, pretty much exactly the same as above, except skipping over the whole stuffing bit.

Thanks! How could it be anything but a central European recipe if it involves kohlrabi, pork, and dill all at the same time? Bonus points for stuffed vegetables! Now all it needs is some sour cream, and we’re in business :wink:

Where do you find them that big? My usual spots for produce are Marketplace on Oakton in SKokie, or any one of half a zillion places on Devon Ave. (usually Ted’s or Fresh Farms) for anything that’s neither standard supermarket stuff or Latin American (either of which I can get within a block of my place). Or Asian (that’s a few blocks further). Or does it matter how big they are for any other reason than proportion of stuffing? I just discovered kohlrabi maybe 3 months ago, and have only eaten them a couple of times.

Outside of Eastern European markets, most of the kohlrabi I’ve seen here is anemic. Last I was there, I remember seeing decent sized kohlrabi at Bobak’s on Archer just west of Cicero. In Hungary, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a kohlrabi smaller than a baseball. Some got to 12-inch softball sizes, and perhaps even a bit bigger. The ones I normally use are the green kohlrabi, but I believe the purple ones are fine, too.

I would also check the groceries on Milwuakee Avenue in the Polish part of town. I’m sure someone out there has kohlrabi. You certainly can get away with using smaller kohlrabi–just don’t bother stuffing it. Just do what I suggest in the last two paragraphs of my last post.

Here’s about how big they should be.

Here’s what the result of a German version of the recipe looks like.

Asparagus is also good on the grill, cooked alongside hamburgers (only tried it on a charcoal grill).