I don't know if my job interview went well.

Yes, I’d agree with that. But if you need such a blunt instrument as that question to find this out, then you probably need to refine your interviewing techniques. :wink:

Eh, if anyone is really that bad, then that’s going to show up naturally in the interview anyway. That’s even if they’ve got that far - most of the dross gets weeded out at the resume stage (I had one guy apply for a fairly responsible position that just put ‘hanging out with my mates’ on the interests section of his resume :smack: ).

If you want to ask these questions at interviews, then go ahead, knock yourself out. It can’t do any harm. But I don’t really think it’s as revealing as you think it is. As far as I’m concerned, if a candidate shows up on time, appropriately dressed and with a reasonable knowledge of the company and the job they’re applying for, then that demonstrates enough preparedness for me. I prefer to spend my time seeing how they think on their feet, so lots of ‘what would you do if…’ type questions.

Absolutely, but not using this method. They’re trying to figure out the best way to present themselves. Everyone knows interviews are nervewracking for most people as they try to say the right thing, hopefully also the honest thing. A few people lie or exaggerate.

If you’re asking standard dull questions and expecting prepared answers, you’re learning nothing. Even if you really are experienced enough an interviewer to assess what’s not being said, between-the-lines, it’s going to be so unclear that it won’t be helpful to you.

If you want that level of depth, prepare a small test. Tell them what the test does, be honest and upfront, that there’s more to working at your company than academic skills or experience, that you need people who will fit in well with everyone and the way you work. Devise questions that are somewhat esoteric but will tell you something about them as people and prospective employees. Don’t lie to them, or think you’re clever enough to “read” them* in some deeper way - use the actual answers they give in a simple 5 question test to assess that.

*If four people are sitting in on the interview, they’ll each “read” it a different way. Meaningless data.

cool beans cheers :slight_smile:

I have now a joined a union. USDAW. £6 a month.

Of these questions, I would not expect honest answers for the first three. The fourth is honest by definition, but I’d expect a carefully edited answer. The fifth is a reasonable one, but not one a candidate can answer until they know what the job is, which is not obvious from a job post.
For the jobs I hire for, what they know and what they understand is far more important than answers to where they will be in five years. Candidates do get some brownie points for looking me up, but that is more my ego than a good measure of their employability. People who look our company up are going to be misled since out group is not involved in the mainstream of products.

But I’ve never hired for cookie-cutter jobs, so maybe these questions are good for them.

You’d be surprised how many people fail this very basic test. Its not uncommon to have some people totally unprepared for the strength/weakness question. It happened at least twice in our last round of interviews, those people were not asked back

I’d like to think I’m experienced enough to spot some deceptive answers. Not all, but some, like the girl who said she couldn’t find any weaknesses at all in herself. None. She was not asked back either

Unfortunately that is not something we feel is necessary at this time. It would also probably conflict with HR policy as it would be a “new” way of interviewing and go through multiple rounds of review and approvals. Just too much trouble to be worth it. I’ve been satisfied with a great majority of my hires

You’d be surprised at how honest some people can be, even accidentally. I wouldn’t take them at their word obviously, but it is useful when you either can’t BS a good answer, to BS too good of an answer

YogSosoth, what positions are the people you interview applying for?

Mostly entry-level clerk positions. I’ve interviewed some for warehouse related duties, and a few more senior clerk positions. These aren’t high positions so its expected but still annoying when people give bad answers to even the most basic of questions.