I don't think I'll try DQ's chicken bruschetta sandwich

Well, I boycotted all high school and college western civilization classes because the professors didn’t pronounce Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ Μέγας or IVLIVS CAESAR correctly.

I also boycott Starbucks because they mislabel their individual wrapped biscotti as “biscotti” instead of “biscotto.”

I’ve been pretty happy with DQs hot food. It’s pretty good, and not as expensive as, say, Arby’s.

I always thought bruschetta had something to do with ciabatta bread + diced tomatoes. Not chicken or any sort of condiment. What they’re doing here is called “Marketing”, aka, “Lying”. There’s nothing Italian about this sandwich. It’s a chicken sandwich with diced tomatoes instead of sliced. It’s probably pretty good though, I haven’t tried it.

Well, tomatoes don’t have to be part of it, nor does ciabatta. It’s just toasted bread with, at a minimum, olive oil and a garlic rub. Here in the US (and elsewhere outside Italy) it often means tomatoes & basil as a topping, too, but various versions exist. Without any further context in the US, when somebody says “bruschetta,” I assume grilled bread with garlic, olive oil, diced tomatoes, and basil. Apparently, as I discovered in the past day or two, the word has also has drifted to refer to this tomato topping, as well.

I asked whether the “sh” sound was used anywhere in Italy. No real examples.

You get people arguing over whether one style is called Greek coffee or Turkish coffee. Better hope an Armenian doesn’t get wind of the conversation!

(the correct term for this style is “the dregs of the pot.”)

Most of the popular culture references to this are in things like the Sopranos, where they are all Sicilian. I can’t imagine that they speak a Neapolitan dialect.

John Gotti was Neapolitan.

They speak the American dialect of Italian, specifically the one that sprang up around New York and New Jersey from immigrants who came from many different areas. Those that are descended from turn of the century immigrants don’t maintain separate Italian-American dialects.

Yeah, souvlaki, as I’ve always had it, is skewered meat in cubes, not shaved meat off a rotating spit. Maybe he’s confusing it with schwarma.

Dq has decent ice cream related stuff.
Their food on the other hand, I wouldn’t feed that shyte to my worst enemies dog. I have never in my life paid for worse food any other place.

this is why I wont be eating anything from DQ ever,

In Detroit we tend to add a third pronunciation: “gear-o.”

Nah. In New York it’s the shaved meat, same as gyros. The terms are interchangeable, depending on the ethnicity of the restaurant.

“Doner,” the Turkish version, is the same thing. But you can get it one soft white round rolls of enormous diameter, European-style. Doner stands in Germany always use the rolls.

There’s a schwarma place just around the corner from me. THEY serve the same thing, but in wraps.

The gyro place down the road from here (DC suburbs) says Hee-ro, sort of. The ‘H’ is harsh and voiced (not sure how to describe this) and might sound a bit like a ‘G’.
Kind of as if you swallowed your ‘G’ before letting it out…