[QUOTE=PoorYorick]
Thanks, Walloon and Eve. I love watching movies and I’m trying to learn a lot more about the art.
[/QUOTE]
How to phrase this so as NOT to piss off two Dopers who I respect immensely? A lot of it isn’t art. A lot of it is. It is unquestionable that the film industry is just that- an industry. A perusal of some books on film history from say, 1900-1930 will show you just how much of an industry it is.
Nothing has changed. Just as the filler, bottom-of-the-double bill shows that were cranked out like ground meat served their purpose in the 1920’s, 30’s and 40’s and 50’s, so today are many feature films shot only to go “straight to video” as we say in the business.
That’s okay. Not everything is brilliant dialogue, witty and subtle performances framed by astonishingly elegant lighting, amazing camerawork and beautiful music. A lot of B&W films are no more or less mediocre than a lot of the offerings today on cable or at Blockbuster. The difference is that back then, pre- t.v., cable and Blockbuster, the more banal and basic features were cranked out, printed and released. Double-features were very much the norm on weekends ( and, I suspect though have not researched it, on some weeknights if the community would support that kind of booking ). There would be the headliner picture- titles that have been mentioned in this thread and hundreds, hundreds of other wonderful pictures. Then, the bottom of the bill would run. Well, that’s okay too- everyone gets a start somewhere, from actors to writers.
My point is that nothing has changed. The outlets surely have but the bell curve of art to shit hasn’t. It never will. I’m a professional cinematograher and- unlike either Walloon and Eve- I can tell you that I myself have worked on a handful of straight-to-video feature films shot on the East Coast.
It doesn’t mean they are of no value, but trust me - plenty of them are not art.
Just so we are being honest, and clear. Black and white does not automatically equal art. It just means that at the time, that is how films were being shot. When does it equal art? When it is a conscious choice AND the choice pays off.
I am not sure that any DVD or LaserDisk can do justice to either Young Frankenstein or Manhattan, but if they are screened in your city and the prints are fresh, or at least in reasonable shape, hike on over and take a look at more modern-day black and white.
Pure art. 
Then again, if a good film print of M is screened, my god- go see it. How utterly frightening. And perfect.
Cartooniverse