I feel old

I am old, but I don’t usually feel old unless I’m looking in the mirror or catch myself going down the front porch steps doing that thing with my arms like Walter Brennan. (If you don’t know what that is, you are a whippersnapper.)

Age-based discounts. Why?

Because businesses have decided it’s a good idea. I’m guessing it’s because older people tend to be more loyal particular business.

OK. I was just curious. It seems like a reward for survival. Servers I know hate the idea, as in their experience senior citizens on average tip poorly and tend to sit longer, decreasing table turnovers.

The first time I noticed I was old was when I went into a record store, and I had never heard of any of the bands in the display bins.

That was back when there were record stores. Imagine how old I am now.

I think it’s more to do with the idea that seniors may have more money problems because of fixed incomes.

Actually, a lot of seniors are doing just fine and don’t need the discounts. I’m not one of those seniors though.

When I was told, “I studied Woodstock in history class.”

When I started walking like Fred Sanford.

When I started siding with Archie over the Meathead.

The other day, I got to talking with a nice young man wearing an Oklahoma City cap.

Me: I noticed your cap. It was really sad what happened there.
Him (in all seriousness)" What happened there?

You don’t know about the bombing?

In our newspaper’s daily horoscope column they have “Celebrities Born On This Day”. Most of the time I don’t know who any of them are…unless they’re 50+ years old.

Yeah, but for me its for the ones in their mid-40s.

Here’s a doubly depressing thing about getting old and family.

Phase 1: The people in your parents’ generation are dying off. Like a lot in a few years. Went thru this a few years ago. It’s slowed down now but that’s just because there’s hardly any left.

Phase 2: People in your generation start dying off from old age stuff. Lost two in the last year.

Hands off my discounts!! :mad:

You don’t have to be all that old to feel old. I still recall in my 20s hearing some young lass say breathlessy and all agog to her friend, “Did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?”

Paying less for stuff you usually buy and were going to buy anyway? Me want.

Hehe, I think I had at least 20 years on the dentist I got yesterday.

I still haven’t quite gotten the Senior treatment, but both the time when I became invisible to a majority of service workers (aged 42) and a few years later realizing I was halfway through my “working life” felt real weird.

About a year ago, my mother gave me this heavy sigh and asked whether I might ever give her a grandchild (both Bros now have). I pointed out that at my age it was highly unlikely unless it came prefab and attached to a nice Daddy. “Oh c’mon, you’re not that old!” “Mom, I’ll be 50 in March. If I got pregnant tonight, by the time the kid finished high school I’d be retired.” She had to go sit down.

I was thinking about just that when I wrote the reply but decided to not clutter it up. I try to break the meme by tipping based on what the undiscounted tab would have been. Just because the boss decided to give me a break shouldn’t mean the server’s income should suffer.

I would bet that trying to attract more customers far outweighs any concerns for their income level but then I’m pretty cynical.