I finally got a @&$!ing apartment in NYC

Your questions is tough, Sampiro. Brooklyn is HUGE. Asking how long it takes to get from Bay Ridge to Times Square is very different than asking how long it takes to get from DeKalb Avenue to Times Square.

The frequency of trains really does have a huge impact. I lived on various lines in Queens while I lived in NYC and I was lucky. They were all extremely heavily travelled. While that meant that after a rough day on set I might stand going home, it also meant that I rarely waited for a train.

At first I was in Forest Hills. At that time it was the E or F to 71st-Continental. Then it was the Woodside stop on the #7. ( Insanely crowded trains. ) Then it was the end of the line in Astoria at Ditmars. At that time it was the N or R going out to Astoria.

Upside? You will be rather safe until very very late at night. There are just too many people on the trains. I’d routinely train it home at 1 am or 2 am and at least in the middle cars, there’d be plenty of folks riding.

45 minutes from Nostrand ain’t bad at all, 5-4 Fighting. How far do you go once you get outa GCT?

14 square meters is 42 square feet. That’s roughly an 8 x 5 room. That’s… snug. A roll-up futon may be in your future. :smiley:

One is pleased to be of service. :wink:

Might be time for a NYC DoperDinner?..

From my parents’ neighborhood in Brooklyn to the Wall street area is about 15 minutes. New Yorkers don’t usually call a commute “long” until it gets up about an hour though. A commute under 30 minutes is considered extra nifty and a bonus.

I take the LIRR from Queens (Kew Gardens) and get to Penn Station (34th & 7th) in about 22 minutes. LIRR costs about $1 more per ride than the subway (based on the monthly pass; for an individual ride it costs $3 more at peak times) and only goes into Manhattan from 4 stops in Queens.

Noting also, that it would be VERY unusual for a car to beat the train time-wise during Rush hours.

I live smack in the middle of Brooklyn, on the Brighton Beach line (B and Q). It takes me roughly 25 minutes to get from my place to downtown Manhattan, and about 45 to get to Times Square.

Previously, I lived in Astoria (which I miss dearly.) The N train to Times Square took about 15 minutes. To downtown, about half an hour.

Prior to that, I lived in Flushing. The #7 express to Times Square took about 50 minutes.

You’re exactly right about what is usually considered a long commute. I envy you your commute.

I also forgot to add that I walk extremely fast (I will walk in the street if people are straggling along) and, Cartooniverse, I work in the Chrylsler Building, right across Lexington Avenue from Grand Central (I could actually go underground to my bldg if I wanted to).

I also know exactly which car(s) to ride in for the optimal transfer points/exits. It helps.

Oooooooh coolness. I have gone out of my way to take friends visiting NYC into the Chrysler Building just so we could ride an elevator. So they could see the utter beauty of Art Deco.

This was pre-9/11. Dunno if you can even get to the elevators without a building pass now.

That building is pure magic. And oh yeah, people would be surprised just how far they can get underground from Grand Central Terminal or Penn Station.

Well, I live in Brooklyn and commute to roughly Mid-town. I get on at the Clinton/Washington Ave stop on the C train and my final destination is at 34th and 10th Ave. So I get out at 34th and 8th and walk the two blocks.

This takes between 30 to 40 mins, the variable is basically due to either wait time for the train to come or some short delays that may happen but on average, if I hit the subway entrance by 8:20 I’m walking in on time to work.

A cab fare to my place would probably be about $20 with tip. During the day, a cab ride would take much longer than the subway.

From Bklyn to Manhattan? Forget it. Cabs don’t do much crusing in Bklyn for fares. If they take one out they generally head straingt back to Manhattan.

14 square meters is about 150 square feet. 1 square meter is 10.7 sq ft, much the same that 1 square yard is 9 square feet, not 3 square feet.

And the more I write square, the weirder it looks.

Okay. So I did not properly grasp the concept of " 1 square foot" in the eight grade. So sue me. I was very busy flirting with Amy Jo. :smiley:

150 square feet is a room 15 x 10. NICE sized bedroom. Wish mine was that large and I live in a free-standing house type of domicile.

You’re right. I want to start pronouncing it " Skwa-Rayh " after reading it too many times.

Congratulations on the find!

IMHO, the fact that it comes with a fully-trained, friendly cat is a bonus!!

Enjoy the adventure!

~D