I found my cat, now what?

Being a kittydaddy myself (and having lost one for a week and another one permanently), it makes me smile that your cat came back. I’m surprised that nobody mentioned that when she is returned to her indoor/outdoor routine, get her a collar and tags. Not only will it help someone who finds her to know where her home is, but depending on where you live, it could be illegal to let her out without them.

I wish Refulgent would come back and let us know if everything’s okay. That last post left me with kind of a bad vibe. :frowning:

It didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to. And it resulted in quite a lot of drama that a few Dopers know about.

I smoke cigarettes. I smoke outside. My husband works out of town during the week. So while I was outside having a cig, he called me, and I told him that I’d found out cat, Luna.

Apparantly, the neighbors next door (who harbored the man who had hurt me before the three weeks that my husband had to stay home (to the financial detriment of the household) to protect the family. ) told the neighbors who were walking door-to-door that I had their cat.

ANGRY people and crying children ensued. I kept Luna indoors Monday night, but I let her out the next morning. She hung around for a few hours and went towards the other people’s home.

So I suppose that she’s their cat now. It breaks my heart, I spent more than a thousand dollars to care for her. I rescued and rehabbed her. But I’m not willing to face litigation over it.

It caused me to get very upset, and I want to thank AND apologize to the Dopers that helped me to cope with such a traumatizing evening.

I saw Luna today, btw.

I guy three break-away collars and tags for each of my three cats per year. Invariably, there are without.

Microchipping would be good, but our town is too backwards to check for such things if an uncollared animal is found.

I think we are going to microchip anyway, after this Luna drama, to ensure that we can prove ownership if need be.

It’s a sad day when someone loses a pet due to lack of proof.

I contacted my city animal control officer (who I know personally.)

I contacted my county animal control officer (who I also know very well. She lets me foster kittens for free.)

I put an ad in the paper.

Did the best I could, but yes … in the eyes of the law, it COULD be their cat. :frowning:

Wait, they harbored the man who hurt you, and then they stole your cat?!? Please tell me I’m reading this wrong. If I’m not, then that really sucks. Surely you have adequate documentation that she’s been your cat far longer than she’s been theirs? Why allow them to take her from you, after all you’ve been through?

Unless I’ve read this wrong, I’m angry on your behalf at your neighbors. It doesn’t seem right that they should be hurting you twice in so short a time.

Eh, they’ve hurt me more than twice, as has the reator managing the property, and the property managers themselves.

Now that I’ve been raped and battered, they (property owners) seem more inclined to be less than accomodating. I have no idea why. Maybe it’s concern about lawsuits.

The poor neighbors and children who have assumed my cat as their pet … they have no idea that they are being used as pawns to hurt me.

And honestly, if some children love Luna, I dont mind.

Having her back gave me a massive attack of the crazies. shrugs

ETA: this probably should have been a PM, but what is done is done.

Oh, honey, I’m so sorry.

Are you getting care for your recovery from the rape? There are things that can be done, and they really will help. At the very least, you should be checked for post traumatic stress disorder.

Is there anything to be done about the neighbors? If they are a danger to you, the landlord should remove them. If he refuses to, perhaps you can seek a restraining order against them or take legal action against the landlord. I know it’s one more stressful thing to add on to what you’ve been through, but it might help.

As for Luna, perhaps you could talk to the family and let them know what’s been going on. If there are children involved, I’d suggest leaving Luna with them, but maybe they’d be willing to let you visit with your cat.

I’m so, so sorry about what happened.

I am diagnosed with PTSD that was triggered from past PTSD (BAD infancy.) I had to leave care that was provided by the state. We got to the point of excorsism and I opted out. I live in the Bible belt.

The landlord is keeping the people there BECAUSE they give me problems. I don’t understand the legal reasons for this, but my lawyer assures me it is the case. The landlord and property manager have been absolutely hostil towards us. We’ve had to find lawyers. Restraining order against my attacker was refused by the judge because he didn’t feel that I could prove a second episode of violence. (NOT LYING)

i honestly cant even cope with that. hopefully my animal control friends will help me …

I’m so, so sorry about what happened.
[/QUOTE]

anyway, i’ll be banned or hated forever for this thread, but i didn’t know what else to say.

sorry guys.

I wish I had something to add or to suggest, Refulgent Cynosure – but I don’t. :frowning: Hang in there. Surround yourself with people who can help you put yourself back together again.

It’s a long road, but you’re not alone.

I’m sorry about Luna. That was simply something you didn’t need right now. :frowning:

It’s shitty, huh? I’ll make it. I have a wonderful husband and a decent family.

What matters is that I got through everything and my child has no idea.

Might have lost my cat. Big deal.

It was really great to see Luna again and to hold her and have her sleep by me. I always said I wished that I could have another day with her. I got it. Can’t complain. I really am a blessed person.

You know the cat is alright, so that is better than wondering what happened.

It’s very apparent you are depressed, and have lots of issues that need to be shared. I don’t think it sounds like the preacher is a good person for your case either. Please go and talk to a professional now, before the depression is worse. I would get out of that area if I was you, because it sounds like an unhealthy place for you long term. Don’t stay in such a hostile place, because of feelings that the bad people will win if you leave. How can you ever recover with that guy near you? I guess that you worry about the child all the time too. I don’t know how you’ll get peace of mind about your family, so long as you live there.

What? Why? You’ve done nothing ban or hateworthy. I’m sorry for your situation, it’s terrible.

Hardly. Now, feel free to ignore this question if you want, but WHY in God’s name are you still living there?

Are you ok? Why do you think we’d hate you or have you banned for starting a relatively nice thread on a serious topic?

Welcome to the board, by the way.

RC, I’m sorry you’ve had to go through all this and it sounds like you have more to worry about than your cat.

However it seems suspicious to me that these people who have been involved in hurting you in some way were not aware the cat they took in was your cat. It sounds like more malicious behavior on their part. If you reported the cat missing through all the proper channels and these people never attempted to find the cat’s true owner, they may not have any legal standing in claiming the cat as their own.

You are the one who knows best how you feel about letting your pet go and you are dealing with so many other issues that maybe it is best to let go if you feel she will be taken care of, but if you truly do want her back don’t let the fact that the neighbors have kids who “love” her decide things for you. Didn’t you say you had a kid, too? Also, you know this cat best and longer, your love for the cat has stood the test of time. Kids are fickle, they are quick to fall in love with something and just as quick to get bored and forget about it later. They’ve only had the cat a few months, they’d get over it. Also, if the parents are keeping the cat to spite you, once the kids lose interest they may not care what happens to her after that.

I also have to agree with the comment about why are you still living there. I know how hard it is to find a place to live and uproot yourself, often staying put feels like the easiest thing to do, but if it is causing you so much pain to stay in a place it’s actually harder on you to stay.

Anyway, I too hope you are getting help for these other issues. And you certainly don’t need to feel you will be hated or banned for anything you have posted here. I think you will find that most people here try to be supportive and helpful.

Good luck to you.

Okay, if I’m reading this right, the Really Lousy Neighbors called the Comparatively Nice Neighbors who had taken in Luna and were looking for her and said RC had the cat, not that the Lousy Neighbors actually had/have the cat.

Refulgent…gosh, I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. I was so afraid it wasn’t good news from your last post. At least you know she has a home where she’s cared for and people who love her enough to go look for her. I wish I could give you a hug. Don’t know what else to say except hang in there.

Ah, okay. I guess I wasn’t following that bit. Still it sounds like Lousy Neighbors had a hand in this somehow.

Again, it’s up to RC if she wants to pursue getting the cat back and she does still has a legitimate claim on the cat.

…wow.
I can’t even imagine being through that. I want to say some stuff but everything’s already been said before. At least you have a lot of people who support you.

And I noticed you said “one of” your cats. How many others do you have? And how are they? I don’t want to sound like a complete bitch but maybe you should keep those cats inside for the time being…?