I got a ticket for open container, am I guilty of a criminal offense?

Sometimes questionaires have questions that are designed to see how honestly you are answering.

I have never stolen anything. T / F

I always tell the truth. T / F

Answering True indicates that you might be more worried about what people will think than giving correct answers.

Sorry for the continued hijack, but in answer to wring’s question -

Yes, in many, if not most, Virginia localities, zoning violations are considered Class One misdemeanors and carry the possibility of jail time. Granted, I’ve never heard of a judge actually send someone to the pokey for it, but the possibility makes enforcement much easier. I did manage to get a $10,000 fine levied against a property-owner for running an illegal rooming house. There were significant safety issues involved, and the case had gone on and on and on and I believe the judge was making an example of the owner.

Long story short - at least in Virginia (I missed the NY reference in the OP), a violation of the local Code (which contains the ZO in VA) is a criminal offense. There isn’t a gradation as there appears to be in other jurisdictions (enfraction, violation, crime, etc.).