I got SCAMMED. Bugger.

Yeah, summer is coming down here and they’re handy for traveling. Plus, I’m female. :stuck_out_tongue:

Card cancelled. I mentioned in the OP that it’s probably the most annoying thing about the whole affair.

That is fabulous, thank you so much!!

We recently got a credit card number stolen from our Grub Hub account. Wells Fargo investigated and refunded the money the thief spent on online gaming.

I don’t know whether to suspect a restaurant employee, GH deliverer, or if it was a higher-up site hacking. GH wouldn’t/couldn’t tell us where the breach occurred, so we unstored our payment info at their site, which makes ordering less quick and convenient.

That’s an example of how the creation date for a domain name can be misleading, since it was only owned by Facebook since 2005.

Isn’t that almost the textbook definition of ‘being scammed’??

I can get your money back for you. Just send me your bank routing number and your PIN code.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Do you know why it is wrong?

From Wikipedia, “In 2005, the company [Facebook] dropped “the” from its name after purchasing the domain name facebook.com for US$200,000.”

If Facebook really started in 1997, that would have been around the time of Mark Zuckerberg’s bar mitzvah.

I didn’t intend a WHOIS lookup to be a guarantee that a site has been around a long time. It should only be used to rule out buying from a site that’s been around a couple months, for example. More diligence is required even for a site that appears to have been around a while.

Yeah, scammers buy up expiring domains all the time.

Yeah, Facebook was not the best example.

Actually, it was a useful example, because the creation date of the domain name and the creation date of the company were different.

Yes, remember there was a speculative rush back in ye olden web days where everybody tried to snap up any domain name with the hopes of reselling them later.

Both times I got my debit card compromised the bank told me. Yay Suntrust!

Confirmed, no, I was not traveling in England or Indiana at the time, money refunded, new card issued. No biggie.

Just a heads up: don’t ever base anything on Gatopescado’s avatar.

:smiley:

In the US, a credit card issuer will refund your money and go after the fraudster themselves, unlike with a debit card. But the OP is in Australia.

So - instead - a deadly and poisonous wild animal will be sent to the OP’s house immediately, courtesy of the card issuer.

:wink:

It’s the same as with a credit card, you can apply (and get) a chargeback of any disputed charge (as long as you selected to have it go through the card company - online, that would be how it was done).