I guess it's hard to find a good sci-fi story on the screen

I was very impressed by Interstellar overall. It’s mind-bending and trippy, but overall that is because it accurately portrays (as far as current science knows) the vast distances of space and the weirdness of black holes and wormholes. The ending was not so great scientifically but it was still about as close to hard sci-fi as we’ll probably get from Hollywood.

I’d say so… and interestingly enough, mostly practical effects and stunts, as in all those crazy vehicles existed, and they really did wreck them like that. And there were guys on poles, etc…

I suspect that even in modern films computer screens may be simulated to avoid scanning sync issues with the cameras.

Yeah, but if those were computers, I wouldn’t class them as FX, because they’d be computers creating the effect of … being computers.

No computers involved, apparently.

Just short hand. Not even the computer screen displays in 2001 were computer generated - they were all done by traditional animation.

Didn’t see this when I responded. There is a big section in the recent 2001 book about how they did this. Synchronizing all those back projections, each of which had its own projector, was not trivial. And the screens themselves were animated, not done with computers. Some were ripped out of various books, which is why some of the charts seem so odd.