[QUOTE=Auntbeast]
For the purposes of this rant, I, unfortunately, am married to a 3rd generation Tampa Native.
Fucking cesspool of a city. Culturally dead. Has the most MORONIC snobbishness I’ve ever seen. No, Really. There are people who proudly have never been north of Kennedy. They live in South Tampa, which they are even trying to mentally separate from actual Tampa. They can base their entire opinion of you by asking “Oh, where do you live?” If it is north of Kennedy, you are scum. It is surreal. My mother moved here, I tried to explain it to her, she didn’t get it. Then she was having a conversation with a woman who just loved Marshall’s stores. She sat there and lamented how there wasn’t one in Tampa. My mother said, sure there is, on N. Dale Mabry. The woman tittered and said “oh, I never go north of Kennedy.” Not even for a store she loves.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and what the SoHos think of us Pinellas people is even worse. Buncha idiots.
Also, RedRoses, you can’t really get on Tampa for their numbering scheme – many of the cities in Pinellas are as bad or worse. Especially since we all run together over here. 24 municipalities, and at least 15 different addressing schemes, sometimes in the same city. Largo is centered on the intersection of East / West Bay Dr and Missouri Ave / Seminole Blvd and is divided into NE, NW, SE, and SW. St Pete is centered on Central and 1st St, and Pinellas Park, South Pasadena, and Gulfport carry these numbers on into their schemes. Clearwater is based on Cleveland and Ft Harrison (where the Scientologists are). Then you got Dunedin, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Seminole, all the little beach towns, and some I’m sure I’m forgetting. Many of these have different numbering schemes and some have more than one.
I don’t much care for Tampa either (except Ybor), but there are a whole bunch of reasons other than the street grid.