I have a cold. Should I take off work tomorrow?

You are correct. But a bad manager can still fuck an employee over, and in fact is more likely to.

monstro, are you feeling better?

I think people with colds should stay home to avoid infecting others. If everybody in the world hid when they got a cold, the cold virus would be extinct in a month.

People with chronic respiratory disease may become sick for months because somebody came in to work with a cold, or may suffer permanant damage or even die.

My doctor told me years ago, “The human body fights off most minor viral infections in 3 or 4 days with a light diet, plenty of fluids and lots of rest…or you can be a fucking hero, go to work and be sick for 3 weeks.”

I’d agree with you in all other circumstances, but don’t come to work with a cold! You’re conflating two things here - people worrying about germs that may or may not be there (on the door handles) and germs that are definitely there (person with a cold). Why do I want your cold? I can’t get away from you in the office, everything you touch will, guaranteed, have germs, and chances are I’m going to have a cold next. And I have work to do.

IMO that’s a big difference from freaking out from germs that may not even be there.

I couldn’t agree more with my distinguished colleague from NY.

When they make you redundant, they don’t thank you for the days you came in feeling ill.

Take the time off until you recover.

Well, I wasn’t really conflating anything. That stuff about the guys in the washroom, I was just having a bit of fun. Sorry for the confusion. My only real point is, you have to draw the line somewhere, and people in NA are increasingly deciding to draw it at precisely one germ. Scratchy throat? Might be the start of a cold – better stay home. Still have the sniffles? You’re not completely over it – better stay home. I basically buy into the general philosophy of this thread, but maybe I draw the line just a little further out than most people.

Well, I’m feeling better. Yesterday I stayed home and pretty much stayed on the couch. I actually felt sick, so I didn’t feel so guilty. And ya’ll also helped in that department.

I went into work today, though. I have a stuffy, sneezy nose, but my energy’s back.

So you were really sick yesterday and you stayed home. Good call. And today you just had the stuffy sneezy nose (basically a minor cold) and you went in. Another good call.

IMHO, that’s the real sign that your body is done fighting this off. Glad to hear you’re back on your feet.

It surprises me that anyone has to ask for help making a decision whether or not to take day off. If you become a manager, will you ever be able to make a decision?