I have decided to retire!

I’m not really an expert, but I have learned a lot about this complex issue. I direct you to this thread, built by @JohnT , which I always cite as the all-time MVP of SDMB threads. This is where I began my journey. The thread is now two years old, but still contains a ton of great info.

Very short summary: Do not try to get by with just Part A & B. Do not get Medicare Advantage if you can afford the monthly cost of a Medicare Supplement (aka Medigap). Spring for Part D (meds), even if you don’t have many prescriptions; you will one day. Dental/vision/hearing is often a toss-up, go for it if you have more than routine needs/expenses in any of these areas.

With Supplement plans, there are a number of confusing lettered plans. Research them and see which fits your situation. I determined that G was best for me, followed by N. Top rated plans are UHC (through AARP) and BCBS (which I went with, plan G).

Oh yeah, get yourself a Certified Finanical Planner. Make sure they are a CFP so they will have your best interests in mind and not try to sell you something. The key word is fiduciary. It does not need to be an ongoing relationship; I found one for a one-time consult. Not cheap, but not doing this can be very expensive long term. This is some of the smartest money I’ve ever spent.

mmm