"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" Which Artist?

Marvin and Norman had creative differences with how the song should be sung, so the release was delayed.

I pick Marvin’s version first, but give second place to the cover done by The Slits.

I prefer Marvin’s.

That’s the one I came in to mention

Cool - that sounds right. But you mention the Miracles upthread. Was that a typo and you meant to say The Pips? I know of no Smokey version from that timeframe…

I would like to echo these exact sentiments adding that I’m no fan of CCR in general and their version of this is way too long and way to Fogertyesque.

“I hoid it through the grapevaaaaaahn”

Marvin, without a doubt.

I love Gladys’ version I didn’t know CCR had one, I’ll have to find it.

:slight hijack: Speaking of covers and Marvin Gaye, I think his version of ‘Yesterday’ is much more powerful than John Lennon’s, which I also love. (The En Vogue cover doesn’t exist) :end:

Dang, WOOKIN beat me to the 'hoidit" slam. You’d think I’d enjoy it, being from Brooklyn but it sounds like some bad actor pretending to be from Brooklyn.

Oh and to add more about different covers of songs-- Al Green’s cover of How Can You Mend a Broken Heart is killer.

Here is a site that talks about the release history. Looks like the Miracles’ version may not have been released after all, making Gladys Knight’s version the first release. It’s all clouded and depends on whose story you believe at this point.

Ah - okay. A quick read of Wikipedia - which I will use here for discussion purposes - states that the Miracles recorded it but Berry Gordy deemed in unreleaseable. They also state that the Isley’s may have recorded it but no evidence remains. Cool background, but, IMHO, I would be inclined to NOT count either of those simple because they weren’t released to the public, in which case we are left with Gladys and then Marvin.

Berry Gordy may not have released it as a single, but it was on the 1968 album Special Occasion

Agreed. It’s embarrassingly bad.

I’m not sure what it is about CCR that kind of turns me off. They’re an okay group and all, but I used to think Proud Mary was just okay till I heard the Ike and Tina Turner version of it. John Fogerty seems like a lovely guy but I think he has a dearth of soul…

Fascinating - thank you.

Gladys. It’s one of my favorite recordings ever. Marvin is a very close second; I love listening to him sing.

Marvin first, then the Roger Troutman and Zapp version.

Lennon did a version of ‘Yesterday’? Whoa. That I’d like to hear!

Marvin Gaye. He did an a capella version of Grapevine, that melted me to a puddle. Yum.

The New Orleans accent is remarkably close to the Brooklyn accent, and is often mistaken for such. I believe there was little of it “put on”.

Marvin Gaye.

I love the Gladys Knight version.

I hate the Creedence version. First of all, that it’s so long is really annoying. Plus, ugh! I just hate the way it sounds, man. Hate it.