I just got a kitten. Advice?

Yes. Buying lots of dollarstore toys and modifying them can surprise you in what they like and how much they like it. You might think that one toy is great and not see the point of another but you don’t have the wisdom of a cat!

You are doomed! In the best possible way. She’s gorgeous.

Faints dead away!

thud…

I respectfully but very strongly disagree with this piece of advice.

I believe socializing/ play fighting with a real-live playmate is important and by doing it you will be able to teach her to restrict her strength. The way to do this is, when she overdoes it, to pull away, exclaim ‘ouch!’ (another key word) rather loudly but not enough to be frightening and pretend to cry or whimper while nursing the injured part. Turning your back and ignoring her for 1-2 minutes is also suggested to indicate an undesirable behaviour.
Of course you will suffer some scratches while she cottons on.

Case in point: my two, one of which was socialized with her siblings and knows how to fake-bite or scratch and the other who wasn’t, and on the rare occasions he mistakenly pounces on a part of me uses his full attack strength. There is a vast difference between the two.

Besides, as she gets older she will grow out of it.

Other advice.

There is no point in punishing after the fact, or even at all. If you observe her doing something she shouldn’t, use a ‘no’ phrase & gesture and possibly guide her away from that object or area, if needs be by turning her body in a different direction and patting or tapping her on the bum.

As I said before, I would praise her when she starts moving away. If you can provide something similar but permissible, so much the better.

Adorable!!!

My advice is to love him with all you have.

A year ago we rescued two 3 week old ginger kittens. Like you, I had always been a dog person. But these two guys stole my heart.

Then a couple of weeks ago one of them suddenly fell ill and passed within 3 days. It was crushing. His brother seemed lost. Coincidentally a good friend had a litter of kittys to unload so against my better judgement we grabbed another orange love to keep him company. He turned 6 weeks old yesterday. He and Ender get along like long lost litter mates.

Here’s a video of him (watch at the end when he does his upside-down butt wiggle): - YouTube

I’ll shamlessly invite you to follow him on Instagram at gingercat_logan and/or his brother at neo_and_ender.

Wear long pants.

Right now I have a kitten that someone apparently threw from a moving car. My neighbor discovered her a couple miles away, bleeding from her mouth and eye and with some road rash. I took her in, I’ve had her shots and spay done and now I’m hoping the local cat rescue will help me place her. Cute, but so much devilry! She’s fearless and jumps on the face of one of my dogs with all claws and teeth extended. Fortunately, the dog is very gentle with her and I never leave them unsupervised. Meet Molly.

StG

Well, we made it through the night. As expected, she slept like a baby–a newborn. No prpb;ems. though. And no crying for mama–at least, not from HER. :] I kept dreaming more and more animals showed up needing a home with me. By the end of the dream, it was six dogs, two cats, two bats, a python, and a couple chickens. My subconscious is clearly overwhelmed. The rest of my mind is fine.

Because my previous experience with babies involved humanoids and puppies, I find I’m already using my training voice, a firm, “No,” removal, distraction. Knowing cats, I’m not counting on anything, but it’s the way I’ve been trained. :slight_smile:

I don’t know her breeds. Mama’s mostly tabby; Papa’s a rolling stone. Your classic tale of love and squalor.

I’m going to get bitter apple spray as soon as I can get back to the pet store. She is indeed a cord chewer, and since I can’t unplug every cord–we’d be living in the dark–that habit must go. I will also get her a cat tower. My apt. looks onto woods–plenty of birds and squirrels to occupy her, once she can sit still long enough.

My friend brought over a small box she’d cut windows into. Daisy likes it. I also have a few toys she likes, though, being a kitten, only for a few minutes each, then–FEET! A shadow! A toy!

Question: she’s been chewing on the clay pellets in her litter box. I’ve caught her and dug them out of her mouth buam worried she’ll swallow one. They don’t clump. She’s not hungry, and she’s litter box trained–has peed in it. (She takes only clean pellets.) If she DID swallow one, would it hurt her?

I’ll post more photos when I can get some. I’m still discombobulated. I didn’t expect to bring her home last night and am still trying to find a spot for cat accoutrements. Thanks again for all the help! Daisy has many honorary aunts and uncles.

I keep vinegar in spray bottle for cleaning purposes and spray it on objects they aren’t supposed to mess with.

No idea about the pellets, shall do some googling and will post back if I find anything useful.

Soooooo cute!

May I suggest naming her Berúthiel (Berú for short)?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Berúthiel

We have a rescue cat that loves Mrs FtG, tolerates me but is scared to death of any visitors, never mind the vet. I think she just switched affections from the rescue lady and hadn’t been around others.

Be sure to acclimatize the kitty to others early on.

I love that name! However, I’ve already named her Daisy Chuzzlewit. (Dickens fan.) Thanks, though!

Not if you keep their claws trimmed. If they object then try doing just the front or back at one time. My cat gets cranky if I do all 4 at once.

And cats will sharpen their claws one at a time so if you keep up on it you can trim them one at a time. Even easier on the cat.

As expected, each pet has a different personality. My male cat didn’t like to be petted and he’s a nibbler. He likes to play fight and then grab a chunk of skin and stare at me. I have to let him win or he leaves the room whining about it. He understands “owey owey oww” if he bites down too hard and will let off.

It’s been 4 years since I got him as a stray at about 6 weeks. I’ve finally worn him down to the point he will seek out petting. well, back massages mostly. He won’t come when called but yet he’s my shadow. He likes to slam doors at 3am. He also trills about as often as he meows. If he has his back to me he will look back and forth over each shoulder and trill in attempt to get me to play with him. He likes chicken and frozen strawberry treats.

To summarize, it takes a while for a cat to train you.

Here’s a link to a new photo: A Boxful of Daisy - Imgur

I had to catch her sleeping. The box is about 14 x 7 inches. I can see why my daughter says cats are mostly liquid. Hey, I’ve raised a Lab, and they’re mostly gas. :slight_smile:

A new issue now. My son and his wife are driving in to celebrate my birthday (actually Thursday) on Saturday. They’re bringing their three dogs. They adopt older dogs because nobody wants them, and they’re WONDERFUL dogs but can’t be left alone very long. I love those dogs! However, none of them are cat-friendly. (Daisy is acclimated to dogs, goats, humans, etc.) I’d planned to shut her up in my (large) bedroom with her litter box, food, water, etc. and visit now and then, but my son says one dog is so passionately anti-cat, he might try to scratch through the bedroom door. :frowning:

I have a friend who has two female cats (grown and spayed) and one with two male cats (ditto). Would it be a horrible idea to see if Daisy could visit awhile on Saturday? I’m thinking 3-4 hours.

Sorry for all these questions! Nervous newbie.

That was going to be my next suggestion. :wink:

Potentially, that’s a pretty traumatic experience for all involved. That’s not normally enough time for cats to adapt to being around new cats. An article about how to introduce a new kitten into a household with older cats might give you an idea off the challenges. That’s when you are looking at permanent integration.

IMO, leave her home. She’s got enough challenges adapting to her new environment and human food slave without taking her somewhere with large and annoyed cats. There’s probably still dozens of potential nap spots she hasn’t checked out in her territory. Let her enjoy one or two while you visit your friend.

It shouldn’t so long as she’s not gobbling down mouthfuls of them, but I’d keep an eye on her to make sure she’s not doing precisely that. If she’s too interested in trying to nosh on many bits, try a clumping litter with smaller pellets, and if you discover she just likes munching on clay litter period, you may want to try one of the paper-based ones.

She is adorable. Not much more to add, except I found softly playing with Mikko’s toes, pressing on them to expose the nail have allowed me to trim his nails as needed. I started when he was just a bebe cat. Also, you can get cat trees relatively cheap from Chewy.com.

Your cats are a riot!

Yes. You can buy plastic tubing to cover the cords and other covers, and you’ll find a lot of “cord-proofing” ideas on rabbit forums, if you need them.

As for the visiting dog, he needs to be kept under control. If he won’t behave himself, tell his owners to bring a crate and crate him during the visit. Don’t punish puss for his lack of manners. (no, I’m not anti-dog, I have dogs and cats, if one of my dogs had antisocial tendencies I’d consider it my responsibility to deal with it. Yes, I have rescues, still my problem). Presumably, these people will visit again, so think about a long-term solution for the dogs. I have baby gates up to stop my dogs going where I don’t want them to (it’s supposed to keep the cats out, too, after my former cat secretively shredded the side of my sofa, but my new young cat/kitten is jumping it). If you’ve got a hallway, consider blocking off the start of the hallway so he can’t even get to the door with the “prize” behind it.

(Maybe my dogs are “stupid”, but they had no idea my new cat was behind the door to the bathroom, when I first brought her home.) If visitor dog never sees the cat, will he really know she’s behind a closed door? Is she vocal?

Anyway, don’t send puss away, it’s something that’s going to have to be handled, training fido, blocking access, etc so might as well see what happens. (happy birthday, watch your cake…:D)

:eek: FLEAS! ARRGGH! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

I checked her for fleas when I went to see her, and my friend who drove me and has better vision did, too. Nada. However, another friend came to visit today and discovered them. A flea comb showed lots of flea dirt. Shudder Friend is a long-time cat owner. She brought over mild cat shampoo and bravely gave her a bath. Then we saw four more fleas. We went to PetCo and got a plant-based, non-toxic spray recommended by a worker (Carefully avoided nose, mouth, private bits.) and rubbed it in. I have borax to sprinkle onto the carpet, but I’ll be itching all night from imaginary (I hope) fleas.

I’m calling Fleabusters to get earliest possible appointment. Hopefully Monday. ;

I got her from a woman with kittens she wanted to adopt out.

I have a dread horror of fleas. Years ago, caught them when cleaning out a vacant apartment, and it was a horrible experience. Blech.

Oh, and to clarify about the situation next weekend, my son’s dogs are old dogs who were unadoptable. The one who’s most virulently anti-cat is a VERY sweet dog but is a tank. They train all their dogs (Old dogs CAN learn to behave.) well, but this one goes berzerk and can’t be trained out of it. Others have tried before. They’ve had her for only 18 months.

Leaving the dogs at home is problematic because they’re all on meds at various points during the day. I could possibly go up there if I can figure out how to do it–just recently gave up driving due to severe vision issues. However, between buses, trains, and time together, it’d take all day, and I can’t leave a 10-week-old kitten alone that long.

It was desperation alone that drove me to think of her visiting a friend for a few hours.

Feeling a little overwhelmed right now.